Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Follow-Up on my "Engine Power Reduced" post

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Follow-Up on my "Engine Power Reduced" post

I authored the recent posting on the above-referenced issue. Not too many responses - which means that message in the DIC is not seen all that often (engine power reduced).

It happened again this past Saturday. I dropped my HHR off at the dealer with the check engine light illuminated, but the reduced power message was gone. When I called this morning to see how the diagnosis was progressing, I was told that they could find nothing wrong and all attempts to reproduce the failure were unsuccessful. I asked about the OBD-II code associated with the check engine light being on and was told that it pointed to a loose plug connection in the harness that was not loose when they checked. I picked the HHR up this afternoon and it's just fine.

It appears that the engine power reduced message is precipitated by a transient electrical event, since there is no valid reason to reduce the engine power in the first place.

When the guy at the service counter handed me my key, I remarked that I would be back if it happened again. He said (in true tongue-in-cheek fashion) "you know where to find us".
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM

If it happens again, go to auto part store if they are open. Most have the obd-II scanner and will tell you the code/problem. They can also clear it. I had reduced engine power, my code was P2135(throttle sensor position correlation). I think the problem was a loose fuse in the engine fusebox was a couple of them not seated properly/didnt feel like they were in right or loose. No problems since been about 1-2 weeks.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 AM

Very good idea! I ordered an OBD-II reader that has the capability of clearing the codes, so if it happens again I will just log the codes, clear them, and continue driving. Then I will have some evidence to present to the dealer when it becomes necessary to bring it in.

Thanks, shaginwgn (Grey?)....
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Engine Power Reduced

I had this happen on my 2006 HHR with only 22,000 on it. Took it in to nearest dealer (42 miles away) where they diagnosed plugged fuel injectors. After waiting 7 1/2 hours for them to get repairs done, they informed me that they cleaned out 3 injectors but one needed to be replaced, howerer they did not have the part in stock. So I had to take another full day off work to drive there and wait for half a day for the repairs. The engine light and T/C lights both came on and stayed on while when the engine power reduced thing happened. They informed me that anytime the engine light comes on it disables the T/C also. I had had intermittent problems with the T/C light coming on and staying on prior to this also. The dealer informed me that was a common problem with HHR's.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by jbug
The engine light and T/C lights both came on and stayed on while when the engine power reduced thing happened. They informed me that anytime the engine light comes on it disables the T/C also.
I do believe that they misinformed you about the TC being disabled with the CEL. Last June, the CEL came on in my HHR, but no other warning lights accompanied it. It too was caused by a bad injector that needed to be replaced.

Originally Posted by jbug
I had had intermittent problems with the T/C light coming on and staying on prior to this also. The dealer informed me that was a common problem with HHR's.
I seem to be getting plagued w/ this problem now. Go figure, happens 2K out of warranty.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM

I had this happen on my 2006 HHR with only 22,000 on it. Took it in to nearest dealer (42 miles away) where they diagnosed plugged fuel injectors.
Wow, how the heck does that happen?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by wxman
Wow, how the heck does that happen?
Crappy fuel.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by jx3
I do believe that they misinformed you about the TC being disabled with the CEL. Last June, the CEL came on in my HHR, but no other warning lights accompanied it. It too was caused by a bad injector that needed to be replaced.
Sometimes the TC will come on sometimes not. Depends on how the engine is performing and the the BCM reacts accordingly.