Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I like my HHR but... List of issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:16 PM

I like my HHR but... List of issues

Not sure if this is the right place for this. But I figured I would list everything that is currently wrong with my HHR.

I own a 2011 hhr lt2. I purchased it in 2012 with only 15,000 miles on it and it now has just over 60,000 miles and I have paid it off!

Here is everything wrong with my HHR.
1. I cannot roll the passenger side window down on the driver side door but I can roll it up.
2. I cannot move the outside mirrors with the controls on the driver side door.
3. Rear passenger door cannot roll the window up, only down.
4. Passenger side door does not always unlock. Sometimes have to unlock car multiple times for the plunger to finally raise completely.
5. Cigarette lighter in the front of the car stopped working.
6. Driver side heated seats has seemed to stop working. Yay cold weather.
7. Clicker does not always want to lock/unlock the car. The 2nd set seems to work fine. (not a car issue per se. But still annoying since if you unlock the car with a key the alarm goes off)

Mechanically everything seems to be running smooth. But all of these electronic issues have seemed to pop up recently and are extremely annoying. I really dont want to pay to get them fixed and I dont trust myself to work on electronic issues in a vehicle. I really want this car to last me quite awhile longer so I can get some debt paid off. So heres to it running at least mechanically smooth for a few more years!

Also, If anybody knows of any easy fixes for the above issues I would be grateful. I have checked fuses for a few of them and all seems to be good with them.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Loose wires, dying car battery, dying remote fob battery or loose battery clip. Loose ground wires. Then there's the possibility of water damaged switches in the drivers door or effected door.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you bothered to look at fuses for power outlet, seat heater?

Unless you have a "smoker package" (RPO DT4, I think) that is a 12V power outlet, NOT a cig lighter. It has melted the housing.

Window switches wear out. Mirror switches normally suck. Seat heaters get damaged/wear out.

lock plunger binds; Has anybody removed the trim panel? They usually don't get re installed properly.

I am surprised that your speakers work.

Use the search tool to find out how to fix most of your issues.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Have you bothered to look at fuses for power outlet, seat heater?

Unless you have a "smoker package" (RPO DT4, I think) that is a 12V power outlet, NOT a cig lighter. It has melted the housing.

Window switches wear out. Mirror switches normally suck. Seat heaters get damaged/wear out.

lock plunger binds; Has anybody removed the trim panel? They usually don't get re installed properly.

I am surprised that your speakers work.

Use the search tool to find out how to fix most of your issues.
I have checked all fuses and they are fine and I believe my car does have the smokers package as it came with the ashtray and a lighter. Ever since I have owned the car nothing has been done to it to remove the trim but I can't speak for the previous 15,000 miles. I hope with the window issues it is just a issue with the switches and not a more serious underlying issue.

And like I said. Everything seems to be running great mechanically. As long as that continues I can make due with a few electronic issues as long as it doesn't get to the point of it being unuseable.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 PM

With regard to the windows, if you get a different result from the individual door switches than from the driver door switch, then I would think the problem is the switches.

I had the same problem with my key fob. The internal battery holder had broke loose. I fixed it by inserting a folded piece of paper, which provided enough pressure to keep the battery from moving around. Experiment with how many times you need to fold the paper. If the paper gets too thick, you won't be able to snap the cover back on.

I have the same problem with the same door sometimes not unlocking all the way. I've read here that one possible fix is to ever so slightly shave away the plastic of the door panel that surrounds the shaft(plunger? handle?). Take the door panel off to do this, because the shaft(whatever it's called) seems to be unavailable, so if you try to remove it, it could break.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Technical Moderator

The lock plunger will unscrew, if new is not available junk yard or your local auto parts store.

Look on the glovebox sticker for the RPO numbers.

Window switches do go bad. The seat heater switch can go bad.

You checked all of the fuses, Then I don't need to say in the underhood fuse box #23 is heated seats, #29 is the cig lighter and #30 is the other power outlet.

BTW; the cig lighter fuse also serves the OBDII port. If it is blown a scanner will not work.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Window switches aren't to expensive

https://m.1aauto.com/master-power-wi...FZm6wAodHLYB8w

As an example
Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by lsf_21
Here is everything wrong with my HHR.
1. I cannot roll the passenger side window down on the driver side door but I can roll it up.
2. I cannot move the outside mirrors with the controls on the driver side door.
3. Rear passenger door cannot roll the window up, only down.
4. Passenger side door does not always unlock. Sometimes have to unlock car multiple times for the plunger to finally raise completely.
5. Cigarette lighter in the front of the car stopped working.
6. Driver side heated seats has seemed to stop working. Yay cold weather.
7. Clicker does not always want to lock/unlock the car. The 2nd set seems to work fine. (not a car issue per se. But still annoying since if you unlock the car with a key the alarm goes off)
I have all of these problems as well as an issue with the speakers in the front and some other mechanical issues that just started cropping up. I know how much it can suck.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by NappiiRoots
I have all of these problems as well as an issue with the speakers in the front and some other mechanical issues that just started cropping up. I know how much it can suck.
Since only the RR speaker works in mine (plus the pillar tweets) my radio experience is less than stellar right now. One bonus is that the system chimes (don't) come through the (broken) LF speaker.

Fortunately though, nearly every part for this little beast is cheap cheap cheap! I have 4 replacement speakers coming for about $50 or so (with adapters) and a new head unit. Also bought some flaps and other doo dads - all cheap.

I have the clunks too, but they don't bother me much. Plus I can get my Pep Boys guys to replace whatever. One dead window (LR) and that is really about it for problems.

What I LOVE about this vehicle:
  1. It warms up FAST. I have a comfortable cabin within about 5 minutes of starting off.
  2. A rearview mirror that has that flippy thing for when asshats behind you have their too-brights on.
  3. Really peppy for a 2.2L. Seriously, it is surprising.
  4. A set of $35 wheel covers make the wheels look great.
  5. Ergonomics are 1000% better than the PT Loser.
  6. Looks purty freakin' cool.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 PM

I have very similar trouble w/ my 2008 LS.

Re: Mirrors, my problem is clearly the switch contacts; initially, just pushing harder worked, but the problem has gradually degenerated. Will eventually pull the switch and either clean the contacts or more likely just replace it, but the mirrors are big to adjustment isn't critical, so, meh.

Re: Door locks don't just fail to fully actuate, and SOME locks are SOMETIMES in between positions and can't even be moved manually. Oh, yeah, and they blow the fuse. Experimenting (carefully) with a larger fuse didn't help. Realizing the risk is to have a stuck lock on driver door, resulting in the need to crawl in through the hatch, I've decided to leave the fuse out. (The hatch still works remotely; it's got a separate fuse.) So now I live like the days before remote door locks, but need the remote to lock the hatch, and if I remember to click the remote unlock before before I manually unlock the driver door, I don't get the annoying honking.

My mechanic just waved a ten-foot pole at it so I'll take on this project. Someday. Or not.

Speakers have failed, going from intermittent to less so. Except one pillar tweeter. One idea is to sick a good sound shop on the speakers and the locks at the same time, but I dunno...

Quick Reply: I like my HHR but... List of issues