Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!
View Poll Results: Do you get a front end alignment after new tires?
Yes, always
41.94%
No, why would I?
29.03%
Wait to see what the car "tells" me
29.03%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Front End alignment??

Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Front End alignment??

Do you guys usually get a front end alignment when you get new tires? I feel like mine is pulling to the left a bit now with the new tires on (1 week ago). Normal speeds are ok, but on the highway it felt like it was pulling.

Or I could be being overly critical and the HHR always did that, but I am just noticing it because of the new tires and trying to feel how they are.

Or I could have no idea what I am talking about and I have never gotten a front end alignment on any car before.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Unless the road slopes to the left or there is a wind pushing you, the car shouldn't pull left. The crown of most roads will push the car slightly to the right actually. If you continuously feel it pulling left, I would not get a front alignment but a 4-wheel alignment.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
jx3

Some may not agree and would rather save their money, but I purchased the lifetime alignment from Firestone at about 10K. So, yes, 2 months ago, I got some new treads and an alignment just afterwards.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Check your tire pressures.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by bunkie
Check your tire pressures.
even pressure all around. Checked on the DIC and also by hand.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

How did the old tires look? For me, I check wear patterns on the old tires then "see"how the new tires feel
Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

I GENERALLY, do not need....or do.... wheel alignments as a routine (only on performance and luxury cars).

But I figure if I get 40,000 miles from my tires and have NOT done the alignment, The least I can do is have it checked (or done) so it's ready for another 40,000.

But (again) generally they are within the tolerances of the manufacturer so I have the measurements set a little closer to the middle numbers (I always request before and after print out sheets, to assure the work was performed to my request).
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 PM

If it didn't pull before and does after new tires, try swapping the front tires left to right etc. If it pulls the other way, you have a bad tire. If it pulls same way, get an alignment.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

If I don't feel any pull or whatever in the steering, I don't get an alignment. You cal also look at the wear of the tires coming off before I get to the shop. I never listen to the tire shop, more often than not, an alignment is not needed unless something got hit or met with a nice pothole.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM

I get an alignment on a new car. Other than toe which has to be set, it appears the rule of thumb in the factory is: If the bolt goes into the hole, it's aligned.

No doubt good engineering can get the camber and caster in spec but the last three new cars I bought were out of spec. Nothing terrible, but they were out. You wouldn't have known it when driving since some combination of bad toe, camber and caster can make the car still drive straight but you can get weird tire wear.

I always get an alignment with new tires. It makes sure it's correct and won't start tearing up tires and it also lets me know if things are changing and need to be investigated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front End alignment??