Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

14 miles per gallon,,, help ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:10 AM

14 miles per gallon,,, help ????

I’ve owned several HHR Panels over the years and just picked up another one about 6 months ago, an LS Panel with 150,000 miles, well taken care of and in great shape.
When I first got it I was getting around 22mpg city, after a few months I developed a rough idle when stopped for traffic lights and stuff.
I used some fuel injection cleaners, Seafoam being one of the brands, the fuel injection cleaners worked and no more rough idle issues, engine now runs totally smooth but over the months my MPG has gone fron 22mpg city to 14mpg city.
My check engine light came on for a few hours about 2 months ago but the light shut off before I could hook the HHR up to a diagnostic.
Recently did an oil change and found and fixed a hole on my air intake hose.
Took my HHR to my very trusted regular mechanic and he couldn’t find anything wrong or couldn’t figure out why I’m getting such horrible gas mileage, so I feel kind of stuck.
If I take my HHR to the Chevy dealership I just know I’m going to get screwed, so I’m really trying to avoid the dealership thing.
I haven’t checked the air filter yet but have been told even if the air filter was really dirty it shouldn’t affect my gas mileage that drastically.
Any idea’s or feedback on what could be causing such horrible mpg would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.
Cheers, Davyo
Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

if you had an engine light, hook up a scanner to it - the code might still be stored in memory.

as for the air filter, it could be the cause especially if it hasnt been changed in a long time, and while you're at it, check the MAF sensor as well (on the TB/intake tube) If could use a cleaning or just replace it. If you clean it, ONLY use a MAF sensor cleaner and be very careful with handling it
Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Pull the codes. Just because the "check engine light" is not on, there could still be some stored codes that would point you to a fix.
With that many miles could be anything from a dirty MAF to a throttle body that needs a good cleaning.

Whoever told you a dirty air filter can't effect mileage..................don't take any more advice from them. They don't know anything about cars and engine performance.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by skyline26
if you had an engine light, hook up a scanner to it - the code might still be stored in memory.

as for the air filter, it could be the cause especially if it hasnt been changed in a long time, and while you're at it, check the MAF sensor as well (on the TB/intake tube) If could use a cleaning or just replace it. If you clean it, ONLY use a MAF sensor cleaner and be very careful with handling it
Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Pull the codes. Just because the "check engine light" is not on, there could still be some stored codes that would point you to a fix.
With that many miles could be anything from a dirty MAF to a throttle body that needs a good cleaning.

Whoever told you a dirty air filter can't effect mileage..................don't take any more advice from them. They don't know anything about cars and engine performance.
I just ordered a new air filter off Amazon and I’ll have the MAF and throttle body cleaned/checked, I also ordered a new air intake hose off Amazon, only $15.00, much cheaper than the dealer or an auto parts store.
There was no memory from the engine light being on, already tried that.
Thanks for the feedback so far, any other suggestion’s still welcome.
Cheers, Davyo

Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Technical Moderator

Have physically looked at all 4 brakes? Is the E-brake off? (it has happened)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Davyo

I just ordered a new air filter off Amazon and I’ll have the MAF and throttle body cleaned/checked, I also ordered a new air intake hose off Amazon, only $15.00, much cheaper than the dealer or an auto parts store.
There was no memory from the engine light being on, already tried that.
Thanks for the feedback so far, any other suggestion’s still welcome.
Cheers, Davyo

Read up on how to properly clean the throttle body..very sensitive on these cars. Dont start pushing the flap with your fingers etc
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Check for leaking fuel.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 AM

More good advice,,,, thank you all.
Cheers, Davyo
Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Have physically looked at all 4 brakes? Is the E-brake off? (it has happened)
This is really worth looking into. I am having a possible warning sign myself. My mileage hasn't really changed, but it seems like the car doesn't gain speed while coasting in 5th gear down steep grades. The brakes aren't hot when I stop and feel them, so I don't think they are dragging. I'm wondering if the CV joints or hubs could be causing this? Something OP should look at also.