Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help! Help! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Help! Help! Help!

So I have a 2006 HHR which I absolutely love, except for 1 problem that has me ready to pull my hair out! Once in a while my car will "glitch out" and act like a total jerk. Here's what happens... Start car, anti theft light comes on, needles for speed & tach start jumping around, car jumps and jerks when shifting, most times I lose power steering. Then some days, it runs like a scalded dog, no problems at all. I can never tell when it will do this, just whenever it feels like it. No pattern to it at all. I love this little thing and really don't want to get rid of it since the problem isn't all the time, and I really can't afford to get back into the whole car payment thing again. Help! Anyone?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:28 PM

Hi Shelly, to the forums!!

Check for loose or dirty connections under the red cover on the underhood fuse block, and on the battery itself.

Also check the grounds https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

Sometimes the underhood fuse block itself, which has top and bottom halves, and they are not well connected.

You should also get your battery load tested, and post the voltage results here.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shellyw71
So I have a 2006 HHR which I absolutely love, except for 1 problem that has me ready to pull my hair out! Once in a while my car will "glitch out" and act like a total jerk. Here's what happens... Start car, anti theft light comes on, needles for speed & tach start jumping around, car jumps and jerks when shifting, most times I lose power steering. Then some days, it runs like a scalded dog, no problems at all. I can never tell when it will do this, just whenever it feels like it. No pattern to it at all. I love this little thing and really don't want to get rid of it since the problem isn't all the time, and I really can't afford to get back into the whole car payment thing again. Help! Anyone?
Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hi Shelly, to the forums!!

Check for loose or dirty connections under the red cover on the underhood fuse block, and on the battery itself.

Also check the grounds https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

Sometimes the underhood fuse block itself, which has top and bottom halves, and they are not well connected.

You should also get your battery load tested, and post the voltage results here.

I had the dealership check it out, they put new battery and alternator on it. Said it was overcharging a bit, but it didn't help
Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shellyw71
I had the dealership check it out, they put new battery and alternator on it. Said it was overcharging a bit, but it didn't help
OK, well, check out those 4 points I suggested anyway. BTW, even a new battery can go bad.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM

I most definitely will. Thanks a million!
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Shelly,
Here is what I would Check next and it has already been mentioned above by RJ.

The reason I say Next is that is fairly easy to do yourself and will not add to your money outlay.
It also has some merit as an issue especially with the age/time on a 2006 HHR
This Check is to check all the Fuses and Relays for being Totally Seated in there connection sockets. They have a known tendency to work there way loose from heat and cold cycles over time.

You need to first check the Fuse Box under the hood and if you still have your Owners Manual you will find how to remove the cover and once off all you have to do is push straight down on each of the fuses and relays to make sure they are making proper contact. I am sure you will find many of them slightly loose. When done just carefully replace the cover so it snaps on the connectors at each end to make it secure.

Then next go to the Second Fuse box and check all those, Located inside on the front passenger side thru a removable access panel that is located just forward of the shifter on the side of the front console. The panel is a little harder to remove and you will have to pry it loose possibly with a flat head screw driver. Try not to damage your vinyl panel. It attaches with clips that you reuse to push it back on.
Get yourself a knee pad or something to kneel on while you are working.

Silverfox
Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Shelly,
Here is what I would Check next and it has already been mentioned above by RJ.

The reason I say Next is that is fairly easy to do yourself and will not add to your money outlay.
It also has some merit as an issue especially with the age/time on a 2006 HHR
This Check is to check all the Fuses and Relays for being Totally Seated in there connection sockets. They have a known tendency to work there way loose from heat and cold cycles over time.

You need to first check the Fuse Box under the hood and if you still have your Owners Manual you will find how to remove the cover and once off all you have to do is push straight down on each of the fuses and relays to make sure they are making proper contact. I am sure you will find many of them slightly loose. When done just carefully replace the cover so it snaps on the connectors at each end to make it secure.

Then next go to the Second Fuse box and check all those, Located inside on the front passenger side thru a removable access panel that is located just forward of the shifter on the side of the front console. The panel is a little harder to remove and you will have to pry it loose possibly with a flat head screw driver. Try not to damage your vinyl panel. It attaches with clips that you reuse to push it back on.
Get yourself a knee pad or something to kneel on while you are working.

Silverfox
Thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely check them out
Old 08-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like loose fuses as everyone has said, but could it also be a bad ground? Who knows but worth checking out as we all know this has been the problem before.

Last edited by J W Davis; 08-12-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Look at the connection of the large red wires on the outside of the under hood fuse box.