Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tool Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Tool Thread

Hey everyone,

I noticed that there is no tool thread on this forum that would address roadside service to your beloved HHR! I thought I would upload some pictures of what is included in my roadside kit and hopefully inspire others to share some of their own ideas.

I do around 120 miles a day and sometimes end up in very far away places, so maintenance and a good tool kit is my first priority.

I increased my storage space by removing plastic cover. Now extra things away from the eyes of the "honest" world has become a little bit easier.

Stock scissor jack has been replaced with 1.5 ton Aluminum jack from Harbor Freight Tools. It is attached on both sides to prevent it from moving while driving. It is also padded against the back seat, so the plastic doesn't get scratched.

Some of the main tools that I carry with me.
Extra clothes for dirty work
Gloves
1/2" breaker bar and 3/4" socket for the lug nuts
Funnel
Some Marvel Mystery Oil that I add to the fuel every so often to clean up injectors
4 oz measuring cup
Air Pump from Harbor Freight Tools
Fuel Jug

Last edited by slonny; 10-03-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Technical Moderator

Have you used the HF jack yet. Mine does not get the car high enough unless I put 2 hockey pucks on it (glued together).

Hockey pucks are real cheap and available at most big box sports stores.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Have you used the HF jack yet. Mine does not get the car high enough unless I put 2 hockey pucks on it (glued together).

Hockey pucks are real cheap and available at most big box sports stores.
My HF jack works great on the HHR
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by slonny
Hey everyone,

I noticed that there is no tool thread on this forum that would address roadside service to your beloved HHR! I thought I would upload some pictures of what is included in my roadside kit and hopefully inspire others to share some of their own ideas.

I do around 120 miles a day and sometimes end up in very far away places, so maintenance and a good tool kit is my first priority.

I increased my storage space by removing plastic cover. Now extra things away from the eyes of the "honest" world has become a little bit easier.

Stock scissor jack has been replaced with 1.5 ton Aluminum jack from Harbor Freight Tools. It is attached on both sides to prevent it from moving while driving. It is also padded against the back seat, so the plastic doesn't get scratched.

Some of the main tools that I carry with me.
Extra clothes for dirty work
Gloves
1/2" breaker bar and 3/4" socket for the lug nuts
Funnel
Some Marvel Mystery Oil that I add to the fuel every so often to clean up injectors
4 oz measuring cup
Air Pump from Harbor Freight Tools
Fuel Jug
---
Flash lights
Pressure gauge
Patch kit
Plenty of rubber glue
Plenty of tire plugs
Ratchet strap
Jumper cables

I'll continue the post tomorrow. Time to go to bed.

Dude i am searching you out when the zombies take over. Thats quite a good set up you have there

Last edited by donbrew; 10-03-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: no need tp repeat oversized pix
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM

donbrew, I use different jacking points for the front. The back jacking points shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-12-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:07 PM

Since the stock scissor jack has been removed, this space is now used for storing jumper cables. I am still a bit skeptical about this small doughnut that they call an emergency wheel.

I was thinking of doing something like this eventually.

Emergency wheel is covered with a tarp that I use very often if I need to transport something inside. Detachable jack handle comes apart and is stored on top of the tarp. Inside of the jack handle goes 1/2" breaker bar. The handle can be used to extend the breaker bar's length.

That is a fruity image!
Knee pad to put on the ground while setting up the jack, etc.
Baby wipes to clean your hands after repairs
Patch kit with plenty of rubber glue and plenty of tire plugs
Pressure gauge with a dial
Flashlight (I got a few more in the backpack, just in case)
Orange stuff sack that I use to put on things that stick out of the trunk
Tie down straps (don't have those in the picture) for various purposes

Most of that stuff goes into the storage containers that are located behind the back seat.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-12-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM

I still plan on adding spare bulbs.

Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H13 (9008)
Parking/Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3157LL

Rear Turn Signal/Tail Light/Stop Light Bulb Size: 3057LL
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 921
Old 10-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Why not use the designed jacking points? They are even marked on the skirts and in the Owner Manual.

The low profile "racing" jack is nice, but it does not raise the car up high enough using the correct jack points. And it is impossible to get the rear up on the rear axle beam. I thought that is the one in the picture, but mine won't raise the car that much.

I was just suggesting a $3 addition to your onboard tools.

The bulbs are listed in your Owner Manual, anyone that has a 2006 model needs to go by the Manual NOT by a parts book. The front running lights are special. Just info for anybody reading this.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Yes, you can use those jack points on the roadside. I was just showing you how I do it at home so you put use jack stands at the jack points you are talking about.

As foe the bulbs, I will definately check out oqners manual. I got the part numbers from the forum's post.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Technical Moderator

I put stand where you have the jack. The flat spot on the cradle.

Quick Reply: Tool Thread