Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel odour.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Fuel odour.

Today , I go in search of..... fuel fumes.
I didn’t see any corrosion on the fuel or vapour lines when I changed the fuel pump last fall.
We were near an older car in the mall parking lot and could smell fuel, then we drove across town, I got out to go into the bakery and I could smell fuel.
Well now it’s 16 hours later, I haven’t been near fuel, the HHR is in the driveway and it was breezy during the over night hours.
We’ll see if I still smell fuel fumes.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Administrator

So , went out to HHR, sniffed at the fuel filler, the gas cap is new in December, near right rear wheel, no gas odour. Walked around the back and along the drivers side up to the headlights and no odour.
Popped the hood , sniffed around the evap Solenoid, which is new just last October, along the fuel rail and injectors area, I replaced them also last October, no fuel smell.
Sweetie and her mother both have dental appointments this morning, drive the 15 miles to the dentist, did the same sniff tests, no gas odours.
Musta been that old car in the parking lot and my nose was still filled with those fumes.
I’ll retest in Sunday, or if I smell gas again.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM

"Rainbows" on wet pavement are always a good tip off as well.
But I'll wager you are 100% correct - it was the other car.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Being a long time driver of old bones (before I got the HHR) I used to sweat when I would see big spots of oil or trans fluid under the car- in parking lots.
Many's the time I drove home, parked on a clean spot then came back out to see if I was losing one sort of car juice or another..
It was always a relief to see dry pavement under there.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Conax
Being a long time driver of old bones (before I got the HHR) I used to sweat when I would see big spots of oil or trans fluid under the car- in parking lots.
Many's the time I drove home, parked on a clean spot then came back out to see if I was losing one sort of car juice or another..
It was always a relief to see dry pavement under there.
Isnt it crazy how in any given parking lot there are black/dirty spots in nearly every parking spot right under where the cars engine would be? Oil leaks are much more common than we think LOL
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Well, just got home from a drive in the country to the turkey farm, when I got there , no rainbows in the water puddle but I could smell the fuel. Drove back home noted strong fuel fumes from drivers door, driveway is dry so I grabbed my flashlight and crawled as best I could to see the fuel lines, low and behold, a cracked and flakey rusted vapour line.
I’ve ordered these OEM direct fit lines, no joiners or fittings to leak. Descent price, GM supplies these lines, $286.00 CDN pressure line, $236.00 CDN vapour line. Yikes $522.00 plus 13 percent HST, nope no gonna pay that even though I always prefer OEM parts.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182759213082

Hey, it’s an 11 year old car! I’m thinking the GM supplier back in the day wasn’t thinking Ethanol was so corrosive, and there was no coating back then that fuel was compatible with.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Isnt it crazy how in any given parking lot there are black/dirty spots in nearly every parking spot right under where the cars engine would be? Oil leaks are much more common than we think LOL
To be honest I only took notice of fresh drippings in the parking lot..
Was it me?
AHHHHhhhh!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Well, just got home from a drive in the country to the turkey farm, when I got there , no rainbows in the water puddle but I could smell the fuel. Drove back home noted strong fuel fumes from drivers door, driveway is dry so I grabbed my flashlight and crawled as best I could to see the fuel lines, low and behold, a cracked and flakey rusted vapour line.
I’ve ordered these OEM direct fit lines, no joiners or fittings to leak. Descent price, GM supplies these lines, $286.00 CDN pressure line, $236.00 CDN vapour line. Yikes $522.00 plus 13 percent HST, nope no gonna pay that even though I always prefer OEM parts.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182759213082

Hey, it’s an 11 year old car! I’m thinking the GM supplier back in the day wasn’t thinking Ethanol was so corrosive, and there was no coating back then that fuel was compatible with.
Oh yeah, for the difference I think you made the right choice, man!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Nope no drips, oil or fuel or transmission, just fumes.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you located the source of the smell Oldblue. I guess you've got one of your trusted buddies on notice to replace those lines for you.

Quick Reply: Fuel odour.