Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dimmer switch doesn't work on 2007 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 AM

Dimmer switch doesn't work on 2007 HHR

Hey there, I just purchased an 07 HHR yesterday, and this morning while I was driving I realized the center console lights (the dim lights behind the AC controls and such) aren't working unless I turn the headlights off, subsequently the dimmer switch doesn't currently work either, just moves side to side with no visual light adjustment.

What do I need to do to fix it, and/or how much would it cost to have someone fix it.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Welcome to the site. Congrats on the new ride. Our cars have a sensor to determine whether it's day or night. The lights won't come on during the day. I think this is what you are asking.

If you bought it from a car dealer, I would take it back. If it was a private sale, see if they might know anything about it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Are the other dash lights working? Have you checked the fuses?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM

It was bought from a dealer, but cash as is, and I noticed the problem at 5 this morning while it is still dark out. I haven't been able to check the fuses yet cause I got the car yesterday
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM

And the other dash lights work fine, in fact the backlit lights on the individual controls light up briefly if I turn off all lights
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JamesCardoza
Hey there, I just purchased an 07 HHR yesterday, and this morning while I was driving I realized the center console lights (the dim lights behind the AC controls and such) aren't working unless I turn the headlights off, subsequently the dimmer switch doesn't currently work either, just moves side to side with no visual light adjustment.

What do I need to do to fix it, and/or how much would it cost to have someone fix it.

Thanks!

Congrats on purchasing your new vehicle!! I don't know what the cost would be but are you interested in going back to the dealership and seeing if they would be willing to check out the issue? If so please private message me so we can take the right steps in getting your vehicle in tip top shape.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Thanks Jessica, I didn't purchase any kind of warranty with the vehicle and in fact I actually get it from a Toyota dealership, if anything I'll bring it to a local shop and have them look at it.

I noticed this evening that the dimmer lights up the dome lights when turned all the way to the right, just simple isn't adjusting the other lights
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know if you have thought about this, I killed my battery the first night because I didn't.

Auto lights, not turn headlights on. Just always leave the switch on auto, you don't ever have to turn the head lights on. DRL is NOT equal to head lights (no tail lights), but windshield wipers on turns head lights on.

And the window switches are lit by the "mood" light up by the mirror.

If you need a Owner Manual, check here
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM

I realized that I was using the incorrect terms to describe the issue I've been having. It is nothing to do with the headlights, tail lights, etc... It is the "instrument panel brightness" control, the thumb wheel that is not brightening or darkening up anything. It does however turn the dome lights on when full turned to the right.

Once again, I apologize for the confusion.

Quick Reply: Dimmer switch doesn't work on 2007 HHR