Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating, not your usual culprit...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Lightbulb Overheating, not your usual culprit...

Hello all!

First of all, I have spent hours researching this problem in searches on this forum and other sources.
My HHR is overheating due to the fan not engaging. This is what I know...

1. It is not the fan. I recently replaced it because I assumed it was the problem and then tested the old fan and it spun when power was applied.

2. It is not the thermostat. Replaced 8/15

3. It is not the relay. Switched with R/ Defogger relay

4. It is not the 30 amp fuse. Switched with crank fuse

5. It is not the extension plug. It passes current without shorting.

6. It is not the ECT as my digital readout displays temp that correlates to my thermostat.

Also, I know this is a significant issue, I have let the temp get to 230+ several times while testing and the fan never engages. I discovered this problem the hard way by cooking my last engine to over 270+ degrees and cracking the head and splitting a manifold. I swapped the engine with a Malibu that only had 42k on it and it is running great with the exception of overheating if I am stuck in traffic. Fortunately where I live, traffic jams are only caused by deer standing in the road.

I have a 2006 HHR LS with the 2.2 L engine. No mods whatsoever.

Any advice? Or better, a wiring diagram for the coolant fan... Yes, I am out of warranty and my dealership and a shop have pointed me to fixes that have not fixed the issue with the fan.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by weisside
Any advice? Or better, a wiring diagram for the coolant fan... Yes, I am out of warranty and my dealership and a shop have pointed me to fixes that have not fixed the issue with the fan.
Will this help?

Name:  a364515d.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  46.6 KB

I know hard to read it but they have size limits on pics here.

Copy it and save to your computer and see if you can enlarge it to read it.

Otherwise I can try and send you the engine cooling PDF file, it's 145 pages, just for the cooling system.

Great investment are these. costly but there is no chiltons available and these 3 book gm service manuals have Everything you could ever want in a manual.

Luckily I scored this set used, still costly but well worth it.

Name:  bf4882fd.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  70.5 KB
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 AM

Wow, that is really hard to read. Tried printing it an it is not much better. Since you offered, I would love a PDF of the cooling system. 145 pages isn't much for me. I just got done printing the nightmarish FCC broadband mandate at 900+. I am supposed to be an expert on that by January. 145 pages of technical auto reading will be an enjoyable break.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by weisside
Wow, that is really hard to read. Tried printing it an it is not much better. Since you offered, I would love a PDF of the cooling system. 145 pages isn't much for me. I just got done printing the nightmarish FCC broadband mandate at 900+. I am supposed to be an expert on that by January. 145 pages of technical auto reading will be an enjoyable break.
File is uploading into an email I will send you as soon as it finishes. It's ENGINE COOLING.pdf 22,532.00K in size.

Hope it helps, if you need another section let me know, can't send them all, theres 46 seperate PDF files all about the same in size would take Days to do that, but 1 or 2 to help out I don't mind.

OK it uploaded and I hit Send so if your email will except it your good to go.