Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Head Gasket Leaking Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Head Gasket Leaking Oil?

So I took my SS in to get a oil leak fixed and get the check engine light on fixed, and the dealer tells me it is the head gasket causing both problems. Anyone hear of this before? I think it is kind of fishy. They also said they need it for a week to fix, which I don't believe. Probably just that long to get parts.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

If the head gasket is leaking, you truly don't need to be driving it anyway..
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

If it's a head gasket, you will either be burning coolant (white smoke, sweet smell) or it getting in the oil.

Other that an oil leak, what else is going on with it? But yea, if it's a head gasket, don't drive it.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM

The week is probably made up of the following:
Take the vehicle out of your hands so you don't drive it and do some damage.
Order and receive the part.
Take head off and replace head gasket.
Put back together, test drive and get back to you.

The actual work should only be a day, but with scheduling of the mechanics time, delivery and particularly getting the vehicle stationary I can see the week. Don’t be surprised if you get it back sooner.

Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Hmm. I can't readily ascertain how an oil leak caused by a head gasket would cause a CEL.

I'd also not see how the vehicle would need to be down for a week. It would take an experienced tech a day at worst.

Do this perhaps: get the code scanned at an Auto Zone, and come back here to tell me what it is. I'll offer my advice.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM

My internet supplier sucks and I keep losing it for a week at a time, hence the late reply. The code in the system I scanned was p0302, cylinderr 2 missfire.
I have erased it several times just to see if it only happens at start up in minus 30 celcious weather. But it did do it at 0 degree weather as well. The car is not blowing any smoke, not using antifreeze or oil. Only leaking oil on the front of the engine and creating a mess. I have washed it off myself more than once, installed leak detection dye in it and took it to the gm dealer for warranty service. If it was off warranty I would do it myself as I am a journeyman mechanic at the competitions dealer, FORD that is, and yes I only drive GM's. I just like them better. The GM dealer phoned me 2 days later and told me to come pic it up for the weekend, and that parts would take another week to get here.

I did ask if they thought it was a head gasket, why do they recommend me keep driving it? They replied by saying it is only leaking externally. They never did give a answer on the missfire. I am booked to go back in in the 10th of February to get the headgasket done and inquire more on the CEL.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLUEHHRSS5SPEED
My internet supplier sucks and I keep losing it for a week at a time, hence the late reply. The code in the system I scanned was p0302, cylinderr 2 missfire.
I have erased it several times just to see if it only happens at start up in minus 30 celcious weather. But it did do it at 0 degree weather as well. The car is not blowing any smoke, not using antifreeze or oil. Only leaking oil on the front of the engine and creating a mess. I have washed it off myself more than once, installed leak detection dye in it and took it to the gm dealer for warranty service. If it was off warranty I would do it myself as I am a journeyman mechanic at the competitions dealer, FORD that is, and yes I only drive GM's. I just like them better. The GM dealer phoned me 2 days later and told me to come pic it up for the weekend, and that parts would take another week to get here.

I did ask if they thought it was a head gasket, why do they recommend me keep driving it? They replied by saying it is only leaking externally. They never did give a answer on the missfire. I am booked to go back in in the 10th of February to get the headgasket done and inquire more on the CEL.
OK, keep us posted. I will offer that the misfire code is most likely being set by a spark plug and/or ignition coil, as these items do have a history of occasional issues on the LNF 2.0. Good luck with it
Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM

A head gasket can lk many different ways.... seen them lk oil/water and compression without affecting any other system.. had an old 70 chevelle 307 that both banks were leaking between the center cylinders long enough where a channel was cut between the 2 cylinders...and no water or oil. It had misses though. And no, I didn;t let it get to this point, I picked it up for $50, all I wanted was the body for a race car, though I did drop some used gaskets , heads and cam ( used metal magic on the block to fill the gaps) in it, ran like a raped ape until the wife decided to race somebody and droped 4 rods...and yes, the metal magic did hold up, I was surprised!
Look what ya did, got me on war stories........
Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Well I got the Head gasket done, took them 3 day's? We'll see if that fixes the oil leak after a couple thousand km's of driving.

As for the check engine light, they erased the code and did nothing. I asked them why, and they said the 10 times they started it, it did not repeat the concern. I am not happy with that at all as it has done it any day it drops below 0 outside. Can't wait to go back tuesday after this holiday today and prove them wrong as it is on again.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Keep us posted.....unfortunate but interesting read for us

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Leaking Oil?