Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Head Gasket Leaking Oil?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 AM

So the saga continues. CEL still coming on for cyl 2 missfireing, and it idles rough first start up every day. Took it back for the 6th or 7th time and left it with them for a week while we were in vegas. Came back and they had fixed nothing. We needed the car so we took it on tuesday, then I took it with me to work on wednesday to put the summer wheels and tires on. I lifted the car to change the wheels and do my customary spring undercarriage wash and to my surprise, the engine is still leaking oil at the same spot, yay. We have only put on 1200kms or so since the repair of the leak. We are very happy with the car, but not with the service of either chevrolet dealer in our area. 6 time's back and they cannot fix a oil leak and and engine missfire. I have printed off the TSB 09-06-01-014 for the oil leak to give to them. As for the missfire, anyone have any ideas? I read something about a compression leak past the valve seats in the cyl head. Anyone have any tsb or service messages about this? That would be a great help.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by BLUEHHRSS5SPEED
As for the missfire, anyone have any ideas? I read something about a compression leak past the valve seats in the cyl head.
The missfire is most likely the coil and will probably need a new spark plug. The LNFs do not have the valve seat/head problem.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The missfire is most likely the coil and will probably need a new spark plug. The LNFs do not have the valve seat/head problem.
Ok, thanks. I tried telling them that before, but they thought it was a better idea to swap injectors from one cylinder to another. They could not give me a straight answer why they did that, and not change the coil and plug. It goes back in monday for the missfire and oil leak again.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 AM

All I can say is WOW. Can you try another dealer? unfortunately they are not all the same
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 AM

I ahd mine in several times for what seemed to be a minor issue. I think some dealers do this on purpose when they are slow, so they can bill GM 3-4 times with warranty work, for a problem they should fix the first go around. When you get pissed, they blame it on the part or some other 3rd party issue to deflect your anger away from them. That way, you don't get pissed at them as a dealer and they get tons of GM $$$. Some dealers should be charged criminally with fraud related offences for their business practices.

On the other hand, some are much better.

I complained to GM head office and they sent me a courtesy 1yr maintenance appt....I think that they would do at least the same for you.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM

We only have one other chevrolet dealer in 150miles distance, And I tried going to them to get a simple tire pressure sensor replaced that quite working in the first month I had the car. We called them, made sure they had a sensor in stock, booked a time, which I had to take time off work, which should only take about 20 minutes, and took the wife down because she was weary of going to the dealer by herself for the first time.

So we went at our appointed time(ten minutes early) and gave them the key and were told to wait in the waiting area,which we did for 2 and a half hours.
At which time we see them drive the car onto the lot and park it in front of us, then proceed to tell us they have to order a sensor,WTF!! We then went to the parts counter our selves and checked, parts has 40 of them in stock. So what was the 2 hour test drive about. I had it out with the owner after that as the manager was apparently on holidays. Not a good experience.

I wish that GM would let me have it fixed at the GMC/ex Pontiac dealer next door as I know everyone there as the owner also owns the FORD dealer I work at. But they claim they will not pay for warranty work there as they have no like models, and 2 close chevy dealers. It sucks being a mechanic and having to let other people work on your vehicle for warranty work, sort of frustrated at the whole ordeal as it seams we bend over backwards for our customers, and the courtesy is not returned where ever you go.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Sounds like todays Customer Non Service. Jack the buyer cause we do it our way and you have no choice.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Update, we dropped it off Monday the 12th, i had to phone them today the 16th at 4:45 pm myself to find out what is going on and taking so long. Apparently they ordered a cylinder head and are waiting for it to come in. They said maybe next week it might be ready.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Another update, today the 28th. They phone to tell me they were putting it together and noticed the turbo is cracked. So they told me it'll be at least another week before they can get a turbo and get it installed. To top it off they have not replace the front strut that is leaking, because they informed me it is not leaking. They say that me,( licensed journeyman technician at a Ford dealer) did not see any oil on the strut and was probably just water, yet I did not know water turns black with dust and dirt sticking to it. I am frustrated to say the least.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BLUEHHRSS5SPEED
Another update, today the 28th. They phone to tell me they were putting it together and noticed the turbo is cracked. So they told me it'll be at least another week before they can get a turbo and get it installed. To top it off they have not replace the front strut that is leaking, because they informed me it is not leaking. They say that me,( licensed journeyman technician at a Ford dealer) did not see any oil on the strut and was probably just water, yet I did not know water turns black with dust and dirt sticking to it. I am frustrated to say the least.
You know there is a TSB about turbo cracks... it states they are not a problem, or at least the small internal cracks aren't I'd make sure they look at the TSB before replacing the turbo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket Leaking Oil?