Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Headlamps...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 PM

HHR Headlamps...

Hi everybody,

I have a question about my HHR's headlights. I haven't been driving my HHR at night a lot recently, but tonight I went out to run an errand and as I was approaching my car I pressed the unlock button on the remote and only one headlight came on instead of both of them. However, when I started the vehicle, both headlights came on automatically just fine like always. When I got to the store and left my car and locked it, both headlights stayed on for 10 seconds or so, like normal. When I came back to the car and unlocked it again with the remote, only one headlamp came on.

So my question is, does this sound like a problem with the bulb, or something else? Does the headlamp have one bulb that is for daytime running lights, regular and high beams all in one? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Did you look to see if both lights are on when on high beam and low beam?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 PM

You know, I didn't think to try the high beams. I was reading in the owner's manual though, and it says that at night when the exterior perimeter lights come on, it's the high beams. For some reason I just didn't think those were the high beams coming on all this time. I thought they were just the daytime running lights or something because they don't look all that bright as you approach the car after unlocking it at night. Hmm, go figure. Well anyway, like I said, the regular beams work and so if it's just the high beams that means it's the bulb, which is about 14 bucks so no biggie. I've never changed a bulb in my HHR though so that should be fun.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Owner's Manual Is Wrong

Ok, a little update about my attempt to change the headlamp bulb. The owner's manual says all I have to do is turn the front tire all the way to the side to access the wheel well liner, remove 3 fasteners, pull the liner back, and then reach up inside of the fender to replace the bulb. The owner's manual is totally wrong about this. First of all, you need a special tool to remove two of the fasteners. Those friction type plugs are designed to only go in one way and are a royal pain to remove. Secondly, once the 3 fasteners are removed, there is no way in hell that I could get my hand between the wheel well liner and the fender to reach my hand up there. My wrists are skinny, and I couldn't come close to reaching in there to find the headlight bulb.

So, I took my HHR in to the dealership and they changed the bulb under warranty. I've changed headlight bulbs myself, and for the 12 dollars that the bulb cost, I wasn't going to mess with going to the dealer. However, the service advisor said they really can't change them like the owner's manual procedure suggests. So, they lifted the car, removed the front half of the wheel well liner completely, and changed out the bulb that way. It took them all of 20 minutes, which is fine, but if my car wasn't under warranty this whole process would have cost me about 60 bucks just in labor, not counting the price of the bulb!

I love my HHR, but it's really a piss poor design in some regards, especially when I can't change a simple headlight bulb by myself. Has anybody else here had any success changing one as described in the owner's manual?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Changing the headlight bulbs is a real PITA! Of course I've had to change mine when it was below 30 degrees outside. I just pull the fender fasteners by hand and somehow work my hand up in there to get at the bulb. Not the ideal design for sure.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Wow. I had no idea the HHR was complicated in this area. Definately something I will be unable to attempt if and when my bulb burns out. Sooooooooooo, now that my '06 is out of warranty, is it my understanding it will now cost me 60 bucks to change a bulb?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 AM

Oh come-on guys, it aint all that bad, especially if your brother owns a body shop and you've assisted him with repairs on 4 or 5 various HHRs in the last year or so .

First off, those friction plugs [ actually called fasteners ] you speak of are a PIECE OF CAKE to get out IF you use the CORRECT TOOL. Go to your local parts store and ask one of the salesman to go outside and take a look at these fasteners on your inner fender, he can than sell you the correct body tool to remove these fastners for future use [ about 15 bucks ]. This tool makes all the differance when removing these plastic fastners,beleive me on this one.

Its best to jack-up your car and remove the tire from which ever side headlight that needs replacing, this give you very EASY access to the inner fender shirt.

*Once the tire is remove, use your new fastner tool to remove the inner fender well plastic fastners, just remove the ones towards the front of the inner fender.

*There should be three 7mm screws that attach the front lower section of the inner fender well to the bottom of the front bumper panel, remove these 3 7mm screws. NOW you will have easy access to you headlight bulbs.

Is it differant? Yep, sure is.

Is it a poor design? Yep, sure is.

But after you've done a few, its not that bad
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 AM

If you dont want to change the bulb yourself, I would'nt pay the expense of the dealership. WAIT till your next oil change, bring in your own bulb with you and ask the oil change fellow to change this bulb for you when he has your HHR on the hoist for an oil change.

I'll bet he wont add 15 bucks to your total bill.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Have to admit, that is not the best design. Bulbs do burn out and have to be changed. It would have been nice if there was some access provided. I mean, how much would it have cost to put an access opening with a tab secured door on it in the fender well?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 PM

The design of GM vehicles is SO INCONSISTENT.

On my GMC Sierra Pickup and my S10 Pickup, you simply open the hood, pull 2 pins up that hold the headlight lens in and it comes out in your hand. A girl in a white dress can do it in 2 minutes and never get dirty. I haven't had to delve into the HHR yet, but I would have assumed that it would be just as easy, coming from the same manufacturer. I guess I assumed wrong.

I have to wonder if the engineers tasked with different projects even speak the same language at GM.

Go figure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR Headlamps...