Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Red face Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry

Hi guys! It's me again. (This guy: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...program-59029/ )

So after hearing multiple times "It just won't program", I am taking matters into my own hands and installing an aftermarket RKE.

Now, I've got the wiring of the unit figured out. I need to find out what wires I need to hook into to simulate a press of the switch on the driver side door. From the wiring diagram I *think* I need to connect the lock to the white coming out of the door wiring harness and the unlock to the black/white.

Anyone have an idea?
Here's the wiring diagram for the door.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you buy a RKE kit, there are many out there; Bulldog comes to mind. They come with direction.
When I installed one all I had to do was splice into one wire at the BCM and insert a resistor in another wire.

This site has directions posted on it.
Remote Car Starter & Keyless Entry Systems ? BulldogSecurity.com
Direct link to PDF
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/manua...0ManualLOW.pdf

It is not as simple as pretending to push the button.

On Ebay: Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers E1 | eBay

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 08-12-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Fixed link to PDF
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Technical Moderator

And it turned out, after I got the dealership to admit they were just stupid and they programmed the RCDLR, it worked along side.

It's a 1.5K resistor in the wire on pin#7 on the BCM X1 connector Wht/blk.
Here is more from Buldog:
Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry-rkebcm.png
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by opensorce
Hi guys! It's me again. (This guy: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...program-59029/ )

So after hearing multiple times "It just won't program", I am taking matters into my own hands and installing an aftermarket RKE.

Now, I've got the wiring of the unit figured out. I need to find out what wires I need to hook into to simulate a press of the switch on the driver side door. From the wiring diagram I *think* I need to connect the lock to the white coming out of the door wiring harness and the unlock to the black/white
Doesn't seem right. My diagram in Haynes is a little different, but one thing that is the same, is that blk/wht is always grounded. So if you want that wire grounded, then you could hook to the blk/wht.

It seems more likely that you want the wires that go to the latches(or maybe the relays?), not the switches. But I have to admit, this system is difficult to understand.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I found this product to replace OEM unit

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...ts/BWD/C02007/
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you buy a RKE kit, there are many out there; Bulldog comes to mind. They come with direction.
When I installed one all I had to do was splice into one wire at the BCM and insert a resistor in another wire.

This site has directions posted on it.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/manua... ManualLOW.pdf

It is not as simple as pretending to push the button.

On Ebay: Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers E1 | eBay
Yes, I've already bought the unit. I don't really want to get into the fuse panel because I keep hearing that on the HHR no RKE will work that way without a $70 security bypass module. So, like a lot of the folks who bought and successfully installed the unit on Amazon, I'm planning to just connect to the switch to simulate a press of the lock/unlock button of the driver side power lock switch.

Here's the unit I got:
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Technical Moderator

It only looks complicated; it is only 1 wire: G to 1500Ohms is unlock and over 1500 ohm is lock on the ground wire.

Once again we are getting confused between distribution diagrams and wiring schematics.

I think 2006 is actually a wht wire. Note the resistor in the switch.

Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry-doorlock.png

So you splice the lock wire from your control unit directly into the white wire and the unlock from the control unit to a 1.5K resistor to the same point.

No need to go into the door panel, the wires are right there at the BCM connector X1. Lots of room to hide the control unit.

IIRC in this bundle

Name:  bcm.PNG
Views: 2813
Size:  654.6 KB
Old 08-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Doesn't seem right. My diagram in Haynes is a little different, but one thing that is the same, is that blk/wht is always grounded. So if you want that wire grounded, then you could hook to the blk/wht.

It seems more likely that you want the wires that go to the latches(or maybe the relays?), not the switches. But I have to admit, this system is difficult to understand.
The diagram I posted is from Autozone so may or may not be correct.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM

It only looks complicated; it is only 1 wire: G to 1500Ohms is unlock and over 1500 ohm is lock on the ground wire.

Once again we are getting confused between distribution diagrams and wiring schematics.

Attachment 45418
So just that one wire? That does seem simple. Now to find a constant 12v hot, a good ground and that wire! :-P
Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Attachment 45418

So you splice the lock wire from your control unit directly into the white wire and the unlock from the control unit to a 1.5K resistor to the same point.

No need to go into the door panel, the wires are right there at the BCM connector X1. Lots of room to hide the control unit.

IIRC in this bundle

Attachment 45419
Not sure mine has a resistor. Might need to go with a different model...

BTW, a metric ton of thanks for all you folks' help!!

Quick Reply: Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry