Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Keyless entry not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I meant the car battery...... You may be chasing a different problem. I take it this is a new problem and the fobs have been working up until recently.
Yes they were working up until just a couple of weeks ago. The one I carry all the time was working but slowly. Would have to push the button a couple of times to lock or unlock. So I got the one that had not been used out of the cabinet and tried it nothing. So I put new batteries in both remotes nothing. I really wouldnt care about this but winter is coming and I love my remote start. Without the fobs working I will have to go out in the cold to crank my car. I guess I am a little spoiled.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by jdarter42
Are you talking about the car battery? That battery is fine not weak or anything. Some one mentioned a battery in the rearview mirror. We are going to unhook the car battery and see if that will reset the car.
There isn't a battery in the mirror. Maybe they meant the RCDLR mounted in the headlining near the mirror. Still that's not a battery but rather the module that receives the RF signal from the transmitters and the tire pressure sensors.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
There isn't a battery in the mirror. Maybe they meant the RCDLR mounted in the headlining near the mirror. Still that's not a battery but rather the module that receives the RF signal from the transmitters and the tire pressure sensors.

What do you suggest I do? Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Or do you think unhooking the car battery will reset the system?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Technical Moderator

I am still betting the battery contacts have broken, especially if you have replaced the battery. When you try to do it the logical way, you can easily mess it up; you have to remove the circuit board from the rubber and carefully PUSH the battery out/in. If you have not already replaced the batteries then try that, BTW most autoparts stores have a FOB tester sitting on the checkout counter, no assistance needed, you just walk up to it and push your button and watch for the lights.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I am still betting the battery contacts have broken, especially if you have replaced the battery. When you try to do it the logical way, you can easily mess it up; you have to remove the circuit board from the rubber and carefully PUSH the battery out/in. If you have not already replaced the batteries then try that, BTW most autoparts stores have a FOB tester sitting on the checkout counter, no assistance needed, you just walk up to it and push your button and watch for the lights.

Does advance auto have this tester you are talking about? I have two remotes one is new unused I got it out of the cabinet and it did not work either put new battery in it hoping it was just dead. Neither one works. I was standing in from of my car this evening and was pressing the buttons occasionally the unlock button on the fob will make the lights come on. But the only way it will even try to work is to be standing at the front. Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by jdarter42
Does advance auto have this tester you are talking about? I have two remotes one is new unused I got it out of the cabinet and it did not work either put new battery in it hoping it was just dead. Neither one works. I was standing in from of my car this evening and was pressing the buttons occasionally the unlock button on the fob will make the lights come on. But the only way it will even try to work is to be standing at the front. Any ideas?
Every Advance, Zone and Pep I've been in has one, it's a placard standing on the parts counter. Check your radio antenna for tightness, I'm not sure if there is a connection or not. Sounds like a weakness of signal, either sending or receiving. The RCDLR, the thingy that receives the signal, lives under that bump in the headliner near the rear view mirror, could be a problem with the antenna part of it. Also make sure the DIC is programmed for the doorlock etc., check the manual for instructions or search here for interminable threads on the subject.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you I checked the DIC everything is ON that is supposed to be. That was the dealers first suggestion when I called them. I will go by advance tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 PM

keyless not working

Ok I went to advance auto and used the key fob tester. It lit up when I pushed the unlock button not the lock button. I can lock my car with the power button on the door and unlock it with the remote. The new unused remote works much quicker than the one I had been using for 3 yrs.

I guess the only thing left to do is go to the dealer.

Replaced batteries in both remotes, cleaned contacts, and checked to make sure the battery was making good contact. Unhooked the car battery to see if that would reset the system. Didnt work. If it wasnt for my remote start I really would not worry about it. But winter time can be pretty cold here in Southwestern VA.

2008 HHR LT, Black, leather, chrome, 2.4L, no onstar, and Basset Hound on the back window.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Neither fob lit up for locking? Did the other fob used to work? If the fobs don't light up the tester, then it's not likely the car's fault. Before you spend lot's of money at the dealer, try Ebay for new "rubber" I searched "remote fob gm repair" and got a lot of results at $5.48 free shipping, other terms may get different results. That beats a $78 minimum shop charge!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Neither fob lit up for locking? Did the other fob used to work? If the fobs don't light up the tester, then it's not likely the car's fault. Before you spend lot's of money at the dealer, try Ebay for new "rubber" I searched "remote fob gm repair" and got a lot of results at $5.48 free shipping, other terms may get different results. That beats a $78 minimum shop charge!
The fob just stopped locking in the last couple of weeks. It will unlock the car. The new fob that was put up will unlock car but not lock. The old fob I had been carrying for 3 yrs will unlock car after pushing the button two or three times. The old one will not unlock car either.

It is strange that the new fob is doing the same think, on the locking part. I called the dealer and they said it sound like the transmitter. I guess I will have to bite the bullet take it in for a checkup.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry not working