Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Mobil 1 or other synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 PM

Mobil 1 or other synthetic?

From the reading I have done here so far, it seems just about everyone that uses synthetic oil is using Mobil 1 synthetic.

Has anyone had their oil analyzed to see how M1 works with the 2.4L motor?

Anyone used other synthetic oil such as Castrol Syntec?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 AM

I use amsoil, have for years. some don't like it because how it's sold. have been using it in all of my cars,trucks,motorcycles. It is not as easy to find/buy as M1. I use all amsoil lubes a/t fluid, wheel bearing grease ect.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:15 AM

I'm just looking for info on known brands of "synthetic" that work well with the 2.4L motor.

With the latest stink that Exxon changed the formulation of M1 to now include Group III base oils, I don't want to pay the M1 price premium if I'm not getting a true synthetic (unless I can get M1 on sale).

There are only 3 Amsoil distributers around here - haven't touched base with them to check the cost/what's involved in acquiring it.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:43 AM

I use Mobil 1 and don't remember hearing this anywhere about the formula change. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Can you provide more information on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I use Mobil 1 and don't remember hearing this anywhere about the formula change. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Can you provide more information on this. Thanks in advance.
You won't find anything said by ExxonMobil on the North American sites.

A member of a web site dedicated to motor oil (works in a testing lab) ran a gas chromatography test against a new sample of Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 EP (an October sample), and found traces of Group III base oils in the results.

Someone else is also running a sample to see if the results jive.

ExxonMobil is denying it, but the Mobil 1 site in Japan says that their M1 5w30synthetic formulation contains PAO + Hydroprocessed oils.

Hydroprocessing or hydrocracking is done on Group III base oils to alter the molecule size (that's what Castrol does with their Syntec).

M1 is still good oil, but the folks at the oil site are upset about paying a premium price for what may no longer be a "true" synthetic oil (Group IV and V base oils).

Here is a quote from the person that did the test, stating that it is still good oil:
Just to clarify, we are showing a mixture of PAO, AN, ester, and Group III. It has not converted over to Group III like so many other synthetic oils, but appears to be a Group III, IV, and V mix. From my point of view that is a great mix, but remember that performance is all that matters, not how the formulator got there, and the additives are critical. I still believe in M1 and use it.

Last edited by Black Rose; 11-24-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 AM

I use Amsoil products as well and have become quite pleased with their products, including their full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

Amsoil products are not cheap, however quality never is.

I resolved the availability issue by simply becoming an "Amsoil Preferred Customer".

By being an "Amsoil Preferred Customer" I can order whatever products I need thru the Amsoil website directly at the same price the dealers pay and have it delivered right to my door step via UPS.

Check out the Amsoil website for details.

Just a side note, I base my oil change frequencies on the GMOLS as displayed on the DIC.

Regards,

HHRANDY
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM

Just jumping in here with a question for HHRandy (not oil/thread related)...
I see in your sig., custom rear spoiler. But no pics in gallery. "Custom"?
Many of us are looking for a different rear spoiler, that`s what caught my eye..
Sorry if I caused any problems by asking my question here... B/B
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 PM

I also use the DIC as oil change frequencies, oil still looks very good. Have two samples to send for testing when I get off my slow butt. will post when get back
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I am no big oil officiando (word of the week), but am considering going to synthetic. I certainly don't drive as often as I used to, and my mileage will stay low (especially since my daughter moved home). I have always changed the oil in all of my vehicles every 3000 miles. Now, with the low mileage that I am putting on, and the lower use (between illnesses, the HHR sits a lot), should I be using synthetic, and should I follow the DIC or change every 3000 miles? I have never had a vehicle that I have driven so little.

Oh SoCal Mike.......................interjection accepted here. I know that you are quite sharp on motors.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM

I use Valvoline's synthetic in both of ours with good results so far. 1st time I've ever used it and only 1 change so nothing really to base it on1.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 or other synthetic?