Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need Fuse/relay Box help,no start after trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

Exclamation Need Fuse/relay Box help,no start after trans swap

Swapped out the transmission in my 2009 2LT and broke the fuse box upon removal due to someone using red locktight on the bolts.

All the salvage yards have them for whats listed as a 2009 with power seat BUT i cant find one that works in my car despite them saying it will.

All the other fuse boxes are different numbers yet the same,they just wont work in my car.
When installed everything works but the car wont start and the factory alarm will not engage,but the radio and gauges and everything else works.

The original fuse box in the car has a GM part#20782975
All the fuse boxes I keep finding that SAY they are for a 2009 with power seat are GM #20908792 but these DO NOT work.

Im at my wits end with this car. Ive been working on it for over 2 weeks and spent all my money and credit on parts to no avail and have no money coming in because this car is how I work and make my money.

Any help or comments or suggestions of how to find this fuse box or if that even sounds like the problem.
I keep hearing mixed info,some people say these fuse boxes will work,some say I have to find the same part# but I cant find one.
Also some ppl say I have to have it towed to a dealership to do something to the computer to get it to start.
I really need a GM tech or someone knowledgeable who definitely knows what I should do here with this car before I lose everything I own.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Technical Moderator

Hopefully, you still have both halves of the old fuse box.

There were some wiring changes made. You need to match the wiring into and internally.

Other suggestion: somebody a while ago had the same problem, turned out they reversed the power and EPS wires.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

What does that even mean? Is there a schematic or diagram or something?
And why would something be reversed? The car is all stock with no modifications,I just cant find the correct fuse box that goes in it for some reason.
This car is an LT2 but does have the Onstar delete so Im guessing that has something to do with it but If I cant fix it the repo man will be for it eventually. I cant work without the car and nobody at any dealership,shop or forum seems to know whats going on. Ive spent all saving on the car already with no income from it being down.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Technical Moderator

I assumed that you have some familiarity under the hood. I must have been wrong.

"somebody a while ago had the same problem, turned out they reversed the power and EPS wires."

On the fuse block there are 2 outside connections. One is the batt+ and one goes to the ElectronicPower Steering. Somebody a few months ago managed to hook them up reversed.

"There were some wiring changes made. You need to match the wiring into and internally."

wires enter the fuse box go to a fuse then exit the fuse box. All of those wires can be moved around to other contacts within the fuse box. Eyeballs and fingers are the tools to assure that the in wires correspond to the correct out wire.

"you still have both halves of the old fuse box."

If you had the engine out you had the fuse box out; there is an upper half and a bottom half. The wiring is in the lower half and the fuses are in the upper half.

Sometimes the 2 halves do not mate properly.

Other things are all of the grounds. Look in the How-To forum for locations: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

All of the fuses and relays under the hood. They are all marked on the placard under the cover.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

Response from DonBrew: "I assumed that you have some familiarity under the hood. I must have been wrong. "

That OR I am learning a new aspect of automotive repair on my HHR just like YOU and EVERYONE else did here at one point in time.
So I reached out to what I was hoping for a mature and helpful source here on this forum and I stated my issues and the urgency of the matter to get 1 vague and unhelpful response from the technical moderator.

Then when I ask for clarification a snide and ignorant comment is made my way by the same forum moderator along with the detailed response I should have been given the first time without insult.

If you have no interest in helping people with these cars or being a constructive part of this forum maybe you should reconsider commenting at all or especially being a moderator that may not be fit for this job.

Your ignorant comments could have been kept to yourself or avoided altogether if you had done what was expected of a good forum moderator or staff from the beginning which is being helpful and informative.

Now thankyou for info on the fuse box,and no thankyou for acting like a D bag answering my question in the manner which you did which when you could have answered the first time without the insult.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Technical Moderator

"Then when I ask for clarification a snide and ignorant comment is made my way by the same forum moderator along with the detailed response I should have been given the first time without insult."

WHAT?????

Did you notice that I clarified each of the statements that you questioned? I spent 39 minutes of MY time answering the question "What does that even mean?", which I thought was at least snide. I see no insult, no ignorance, no snideness.

You, sir are treading a fine line. You have violated site rules. Your post has been reported to the other mods and admin for discussion.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

What? Don's suggestions and advice were RIGHT ON!!

"ignorant", "snide"? Man are you way off base.

"D bag"??? - ok, enjoy fixing it yourself.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Dunpokethebear.
Take a DEEP breath and maybe calm down. I think you're taking that 1 sentence way too personal. I'm guessing you're a little on edge because of the predicament you have with your car.
Donbrew is trying to help you. He has posted up some great info for you to look at.

As far as no one else helping you. Honestly, from reading your other posts, I think you've just got an installation problem. What ? Not sure, but again, Donbrew has posted up some good info.

As far as the fuse box. You never stated what is actually broken on the original. You would have to really mess it up for it to be unusable. Regarding the fuse box part #. I'll bet that there are many different part # versions of that box. AND I'll bet that some will interswap. Trying to find that exact part # box may be all but impossible.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Dunpokethebear - in case you do drop by again to see the reaction to your posts - fyi - it was me that banned you - for 7 days!!! and that was due to rude, insulting, childish behaviour displayed on your part towards others that were trying to help you.

After reading the pm you sent one of the moderators here, I see I was totally remiss in banning you for 7 days. I really made a mistake - and I apologize for that. I really should have banned you permanently right from the get go. Once again, my apologies.

Have a nice day, and as you say after your typical curse filled rants ....... God bless.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

FMG - thanks for trying to help out - but you would not have been so nice after reading the PM he fired off. The fellow needs help, but he won't get it here.