Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   new problem/issue rear door / hatch (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/new-problem-issue-rear-door-hatch-22345/)

catdaddy137 03-09-2009 05:03 PM

new problem/issue rear door / hatch

while cleaning hhr today. i leave the rear hatch/door open for an hour or 2. i assume this is why it was hard to pull down. when i got it down i noticed dents on both sides of the top of the door , very close to where the hinges are attached. also had to tighten all the bolts that hold the spoiler on. it was very loose. the 2 are not related. the "shocks" should not lock up just from being open for a while , or have that much resistance. the hinges should be mounted in a way that stress would be spread out and not bend the metal that is so thin. i do not want to go thru the trouble of trying to get gm to give me a new door , shocks , spoiler. i want a product that was made right the first time.:(

Cokeybill 03-09-2009 06:59 PM

Was there heavy gusts of wind, if so that is your problem. The wind will do a jerk effect to doors and rear hatches. I've seen doors bent almost backward because the owner wasn't careful of the wind.

urbexHHR 03-09-2009 07:01 PM

Great...make me worry. I was cleaning my HHR today too, and had the hatch open for a long time. I never noticed anything, but now you're making me want to go out and check....thanks a lot!!!

catdaddy137 03-09-2009 08:44 PM

knowledge is power

it was windy today. but the dent goes out. if it was dented in then that could be from wind. cckid , it is better to know , and take care, but i really don't know if there was anything i could have done. the shocks seemed almost as if they were locked up. i tryed to be gentle when i noticed. it's kinda like the old chevy hoods that were so bad about bending at the spring. at least you could push down on the back of the hood , on top of the spring , to prevent the old hoods from bending. hmm , that makes me think. maybe it was the wind. there shouldn't be any pressure at the hinge , from the shocks. but , by looking at the dent , being pushed out , the wind could have pushed the hinges out so far that they were in a bind. so , my hinges were in a bind , maybe.

Snoopy 03-10-2009 12:43 AM

I think you might be a first with this complaint. Haven't heard of anyone else having the problem.

I suggest the wind also.........maybe a gust which does generate different forces than steady or regular wind. Especially if you sustained needed repairs to the hinges AND the compression struts......kind of rare.

DLVRNIT 03-10-2009 01:38 AM

My 2 cents for what it's worth! The two things that might be part of the problem: 1) Extreme Cold can cause the Struts to be somewhat stuborn to close? 2) And this I have noticed with our HHR is the Hinges are not the Greatest Quality Controlled item! I have noticed a "Click" and or "Bind" coming from our Hinges! I would assume you could have even a poorer set of hinges that may really lock up when trying to close! I'm just glad we haven't had to put many miles on our HHR yet!

DLVRNIT 03-10-2009 06:21 AM

Also how many miles are on your HHR :confused:? Might be a Warranty Issue :confused:?