Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Newbie HHR owner has some issues (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/newbie-hhr-owner-has-some-issues-28479/)

RaddaRaddaRed 03-07-2010 06:54 PM

Newbie HHR owner has some issues

Greetings to all. I am the proud owner of a slightly used (rental) 2009 HHR in the eye-popping Vicory Red color. It's a 2.2 LT model and has some minor glitches I am slowly discovering as I drive it. I have been all up and down through these threads and I have diagnosed that I too have the loud fuel pump issue as well as a sticking drivers door lock. In addition, I have a remote mirror control that will move both mirrors up, down, and left...but not to the right. I suspect this are all minor issues I can have my dealer fix quickly. Here's two other questions I have for everyone to ponder:

1. The car rides pretty smoothly until I hit around 55 mph. Then there is noticeable vibrations coming through the steering wheel. This lasts from 55 to 60 and then goes away. It's not a violent shaking but I know exactly when I am at 58 MPH without even looking at my speedometer.

2. Whenever I get out after driving, there is a very loud,very rapid ticking noise which seems to be coming from under the left side. Is this the sign of a bad catalytic converter? Isn't that an expensive fix? I mean it's like a real fast ticking (Think the beginning cymbal sounds of Sprinsteen's "Candy's Room") then it slowly winds down. I've heard cars pop and ping after hot driving but never anything like this.

If anyone has any thoughts on these two issues before I return to the dealer, I'd be very interested in hearing your experienced thoughts on the matter.

BTW - I may sound like I am complaining, but I really like this car. I have the sweet enjoyment of working out of this car from 8 to 5 everyday! It's good on gas, decent pickup, and very flexible to haul my sales gear. I wish I could have bought a brandynew one to maybe eliminate some of my rental car buggabos. Price you pay for a cheap ride, I guess.

Thanks for your help!

an08HHR 03-07-2010 07:10 PM

Get your tires balanced and the vibration should be gone.
The ticking sounds about normal for the heat shield on the cat when it cools down.

87silver 03-07-2010 07:11 PM

1. Sounds like simple tire balancing is in order
2. Sounds like the catalytic converter just cooling down. My son's 2009 Cobalt 2.2 XFE does the same thing while cooling.

Nothing sounds too sinister, but I can't blame your skepticism as a new owner.

Good luck and many happy miles (after you work out the bugs). ;)

Marzipan 03-07-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR (Post 448561)
Get your tires balanced and the vibration should be gone.
The ticking sounds about normal for the heat shield on the cat when it cools down.

But first, make sure there is no debris seated on the wheel rims.

sleeper 03-07-2010 11:26 PM

WELCOME-

# 2 is: the stainless steel exhaust pipes cooling.. This is perfectly normal..

Don't believe me ? after shut down go to tail-pipe end, & grab it with a heavy rag & ticking will stop.

Let go, & ticking will resume. It's just the nature of having stainless steel exhaust..