Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Noise from left front under braking and minor bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Noise from left front under braking and minor bumps

I've been throught the dealership and they don't have a clue what's happening. Maybe someone out there has an idea. The other day's I rotated my tires and found a bit of a wobble to my rotor on the left front. Wondering if there's a connection. Is there something else I should be looking for? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Technical Moderator

If you mean you could feel a wobble in the wheel while it was jacked up, yes I have some ideas.

If the wobble is felt while push/pull 12 0'clock and 6 O'clock only then: bad wheel bearing.
If the wobble is felt while push/pull 9 O'clock and 3 O'clock only then: investigate the tie rod ends.

If you mean the rotor only when the wheel is off, that is normal the lugs nuts hold the rotor down.

Noise from minor bumps usually come from sway bar links or sway bar bushings. Sometimes lower control arm bushings.

Use the search function, there is an incredible amount of info on this forum about each of those.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Not enough info in your post.
1st. Year model and mileage
2nd. Noise from left front? What kind of noise? A bump, thump, screech ?
3rd. Maintenance history. Has any work been done in the front end?
Too little info for me to even take a guess.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Same problem

I am having what I think is the same problem.
I am a 2009 LS with the FE1 Suspension package. I was having the "thump" that everyone is complaining of. I replaced the sway bar links with change in the symptom. So I then replaced the sway bar bushings with the Energy Suspension bushings. The Thump went away. For a few days everything was quite. Slow though, there has been a tapping ( for lack of a better descriptor) growing louder every day. It typically happens on small minor bumps and such along the road. I can feel it directly under my left foot. I got under the car today to see if something might have worked loose. The bolts were a little loose so I tightened them a wee bit. Upon a test drive the noise was still there. I did notice that with these new bushings the sway bar can shift left to right 8+ mm. ( I measured) I don't think it shifted at all with the OEM bushings and brackets. Could this be our noise? The links seem nice and tight. I did the tried and true "Push pull test" on the rotor/hub to see if the control arm bushing might be done in, but nothing.

Ideas?

Texasmagpie
'09 HHR LS
"The Toon Army Mobile"
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Technical Moderator

The bar is designed to shift L/R. Did you by any chance use the 12 inch links? If so, they probably are knocking into the control arms. You probably can see the oint of contact on the aluminum.

Most of the parts books say the 12 inch links are correct, but they are wrong! 10 inch K750012 is correct. I think that is where the confusion comes from, the 12 inch links are K750252 (something like that) and the 10 inch ones have a part number ending in 12.

And your question does not seem to have any relation to this thread. There is a fine "search" box just under the main banner.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM

I saw that this fellow was having a similar symptom to mine...and no one has posted a reply to my question in the appropriate thread. Sorry.

I did replace the links with the same size that came off of the car. hmmm... I might just by a pair and try it.
Thanks, sorry for the trouble.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Technical Moderator

No trouble, just burying questions in old/unrelated threads won't get you any help, unless somebody happens to surf by. And multiple posting is almost as bad for you.

Other thing to look at: 1 inch sway bar bushing? Did you get he correct part?

Some people (myself included) have failed to get the link nuts tightened down properly, on account of using a vice grip that is too thick to hold the stud.