Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

oil change- now oil and t/C lights on, rough shift

Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Question oil change- now oil and t/C lights on, rough shift

took my "new to me" 07 HHR in for the first free oil change at the dealer. Went during my lunch hour, I should know better, but they said there were only few ahead of me and it wouldn't take long. Took 2 hours. Got it back, and headed back to work.
first, "oil life 100%" came on, went off, and the red oilcan came on and stayed on. Then, a "traction off" message came up, and the T/C symbol lit up and stayed on.
Then I noticed it was shifting rough- kind of bumping from gear to gear (it's an automatic).
It hasn't done any of these things since I've had it, which is about a month. Last weekend, however, when I started it up, there were no guage lights- no driver info center. The turn signals worked, and the "MPH" on the speedometer was lit, but the speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge were all not working. I drove on the errand anyway, and when I started it up to come home, they were all working again.
Any ideas? The dealership says bring it back, but now I've got to stay late for taking such a long lunch, so it won't be today- they'll be closed by the time I could get there. I drive 90 miles round trip every day.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 PM

I'd tell them sure, and have my dealer provided rental ready for me!

Good luck.

BTWm what part of Missouri are you in?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:42 PM

I work in creve coeur, dealership on manchester rd between 141 and 109. Takes me a bit to get there during lunch, but it's even worse in the afternoon after work. I've got to pick my son up at daycare in eureka, so this is not even a little convenient, for something that was supposed to be a simple oil change.
vickie
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM

I'd bet the paycheck it's not oil change related....just one of them things that happens at the wrong time. With luck they will square ya up, pdq!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM

I'll keep you updated- the dealership just called to say they are sending someone TO MY WORKPLACE to take a look at it. Not sure what they can do, but it's a nice effort!
they did a similar thing when I went to register it, only to discover after standing in line at the DMV that there was no odometer statement. I called them, and they sent someone to my work to sign the title so I could get my tags.
vickie
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Founding Member

It may be a bad BCM, all those feed through it. The tech can come out and determine what codes are in it with his scanner. Another possiblility is the ignition switch.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 PM

I was going to suggest talking to the service manager at Weber in Creve Coeur, that where I have all my work done.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 PM

well, the tech came out, and there was no oil in the engine. Dry. At least there was zero oil on the dipstick when he checked it. He put 5 quarts in and told me to bring it in. They gave me a rental for tonight and will check it over. When I turned it back on after the oil went in, all the lights were out except the check engine light. That had come on when I started it, prior to getting oil put in- it had oil light, engine light, and traction control light. AFter the oil, all went out except the engine light. It did't shift rough going to the dealer, but the engine light stayed on. Now I've got an aveo rental, and my hhr is in the shop.
any ideas on what damage was done by driving it about 8-10 miles in heavy city traffic with no oil?
vickie
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Founding Member

They owe you a new engine, period!

This 8-10 miles is way too many without oil in it. 5 quarts added means you had zero in it. It's time to talk to management, and if the service manager doesn't agree to replace the engine, you need to get to the owner or general manager.

Unless they disassemble the engine completely and inspect every part there is no way to know the damage.

Sooner or later a failure will occur!

I am damn proud that our engines are tough enough to go the distance WITHOUT oil in them! How far did you drive it before the oil can icon came on? Most engines would of failed after 2 miles.

P.S. They need to get you out of the Aveo too. They owe you something more comperable to the HHR. At least a Cobalt.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-11-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added the ps
Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Just watch out the dealer doesn't apply one of these to you....
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change- now oil and t/C lights on, rough shift