Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Catalytic / Electrical issue in just purchased HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Unhappy Catalytic / Electrical issue in just purchased HHR

Hey all, been lurking for a while because I was considering buying a used 2006 HHR, very cool to see so many people helping out others and passing along advice/info/etc.

So I bought it today (2006/175k, as-is), drove about 150 miles home and a check engine light came on. I pulled into a autozone, had them check it; turns out it was a catalytic converter issue, perhaps a failing oxygen sensor but nothing catastrophic (don't have the codes in front of me, but can get). Didn't think too much of it. Drove home & parked for about an hour.

I moved my car from the street to my garage, parked it and turned it off, I left the headlights on for just long enough to swap out a front license plate. Decided to buzz up town so I hopped back in, turned the key, and suddenly it starts clicking, lights flickering, and the display shows the car/lock icon and says "check charge system."

Did I buy a lemon? Is this simply a low battery in a North Dakota winter and a coincidence with the other check engine light? Is my briefly enjoyed hhr a goner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to answer any questions that may help get things figured out. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

The first issue. Yes, you need to post up the actual CEL number so we can try to help you.
The 2nd one sures sounds like a case of a low/bad battery. It has the classic symptoms that have been talked about on this site.
Get the battery charged and tested to confirm if it needs replacing.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Regarding the headlights on and the "clicking" no start.........

Definitely a battery issue. These cars, with the original size battery, will not tolerate any extraneous drains. Leaving the headlights on for probably 10 minutes will drain a battery to a no start condition, especially in cold weather and a marginal battery.

If you have a external charger, use it overnight, you MIGHT be alright. But you will need a battery eventually.

Get the codes that were pulled and we'll work on that also.

Beat me to it, George !!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Technical Moderator

X2,X2

"catalytic converter issues" are not always catalytic converter issues! Learn how to research and save yourself money, I know I did (and some of it has been posted on this site already). Even a P0420 does not really mean "replace it" as most sources will tell you.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Welcome to the site I agree with all of the above.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 AM

click-click fixed

Thanks all - for the advice, and the warm welcome!

I went ahead and picked up a new battery and replaced the old one, just because previous owner had never done so & it does get ridiculously cold here, even if I do have it garaged. Started like a champ and seems to be running fine, though the check engine light is still on.

The previously mentioned error code is a P0420.

As for rest the vehicle, The previous owner did color match (burnt orange) the bow-ties, mirrors, & grill, so it's pretty sharp looking, if nothing else
It certainly has the apparently usual rumble/clunk/etc. noises, but that one will have to be investigated a few paychecks from now.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

I hook mine to my Battery MINDer when not in use..

& Congrats on the new ride..
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 AM
Deceased

to the forum!

The P0420 (Catalyst System Low Efficiency) code might be spurious in nature and connected to the battery that was marginal.

But it does bear watching as a previous owner may have ignored a CEL long enough for damage to occur to the converter.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 AM

It is possible that the cat is still covered under the factory warranty, if that is the problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Technical Moderator

Here is what I did.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/my-adventures-p0171-then-p0496-48626/

P0420, can be as simple as a bad flange gasket. If the engine is burning oil you may need a new cat, but, the #2 O2 sensor may be just gummed up.

What it actually means is that the #1 O2 sensor and the #2 O2 sensor are reporting close to the same O2 level, Whereas the #2 O2 sensor should be reading a much lower level than the #1 O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: Catalytic / Electrical issue in just purchased HHR