Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Security lockdown...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Security lockdown...

Let me preface this by saying that I know very very little about automobiles. Hopefully this will allow you to suspend Two nights ago, we foolishly ran out of gas. We immediately tried starting it repeatedly, hoping that we'd be able to get it going enough to get to a gas station. We were unsuccessful. A friend came and put some gas in the car, but it refused to start. The battery died.

Since then, the battery has been charged, but the car has been towed because it still refuses to start. The engine won't turn over because of a security feature. We've tried everything using both the actual key and remote starter. The dealer insists we take it in to them to solve this problem. I'm wondering if there are other ways to deactivate this security lock down to get the car started again. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM

It takes two gallons of gas to get it going again...if you jump it use the red cap on the fuse box and strut bolt for negative. Have no expierence with the security lockdown or knowledge of it btw welcome
Old 05-18-2008, 04:28 PM

I agree with Shaginwgn...it takes 2 gallons to get it going.

If the dealer insists that you take it to them to solve the problem, I would presume it's still under warranty...which means they should have it towed to them.

Another question...do you have both of the original keys from the HHR or did the dealer make you one. The dealer I got mine from could only find one key when I bought my HHR, so they made me another one. One day, I inadvertantly took the other set (the one they made) and the car refused to start. Called them and they sent a tow truck to pick it up. In the mean time, I kept trying to start the car with that key and after trying it about 10 times it finally started the car, just as the tow truck pulled up.

Drove it to the dealer and told them what happened...they said you have to recycle a new key about 10 times or so before it programs itself to the car or something to that effect.

Hopefully ChevyMgr will come along and give you some insight as well. He works at a Chevrolet dealership and has alot of insight into problems/service issues with the HHR.

Good luck...hope you get it going soon.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM

We aren't under warranty still. The problem is the security, not the gas. We have enough gas for it to work. The keys are original. We just need to figure out a way to reset the computer, I guess.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Codysseus
We just need to figure out a way to reset the computer, I guess.
Easiest way is to disconnect the battery for ten minutes. open rear hatch, the battery is in the spare tire compartment disconnect ground for around ten minutes, just don't close the rear hatch all the way(no power to operate rear hatch release).
Old 05-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Excellent idea Grey. I totally agree about not closing the hatch. Otherwise you'll be crawling thru on hands and knees. Been there, done that.

Did this when gas cap set off Check Engine Light. Left disconnected for about a half hour and once reconnected, light was gone.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 PM

To Program a new key.
1. insert your present key, start and shut off the engine.
2. remove key.
3. insert new key within 30 seconds and turn the key to the on position but do not start the engine.
4. wait 10 seconds, then start your engine.
Your new key should now be programmed.

Remotes have to be programmed by any Chevy dealership.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:20 PM

how much does programming the FOBs cost?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 PM

around $70.00
Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Fobs only need programming when purchased new.If they lose their program because of a transmitter battery change or some other reason,hold down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds while pointing the fob at the car.That SHOULD reprogram it.

Quick Reply: Security lockdown...