Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Outside Temp Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 PM

Question Outside Temp Display

While driving all over town today, I noticed that my Outside Temp read 56* and never changed... Even after parking in my garage for a while... All other displays seem to work OK.. Even the Compass in the mirror... And, no, I don't think the weather never changed "at all"... :-)

Anyone else had an issue? (I tried to find a previous thread w/o success..

Thanks!

Last edited by sargechris; 12-19-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added sentance
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 PM

I had that happen to mine when I first got my hhr. It stayed at one temp. for hours then started working again the next time I started the car and it has not happen again. (it's been over a year) I think it just had to reboot on the next start up?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Maybe ChevyMgr can make sure the text of this document is correct. The docment was torn and illegible in a few spots. I did my best to fill in the gaps based on the context.

Document ID 1850744 from GM. Inaccurate outside temperature display

Applies to the following Vehicles
2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR
2007 Pontiac G5
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky

The outside air temperature algorithm uses 3 pieces of information, outside air temperature data, vehicle speed and the time the engine was turned off. When the engine is first started , the algorithm looks at how long the engine was off and if the outside temperature is lower than the last reading taken during the previous ignition cycle to determine if a new outside temperature reading should be taken. If the engine was off long enough or the current outside air temperature is cooler than the stored value, a new outside temperature reading is taken and displayed in the cluster. If the engine was not off long enough or the current outside air temperature is higher than the stored value from the previous ignition cycle, then the last stored value (outside air temperature) taken will be displayed. The outside air temperature will be updated every second as long as the outside air temperature is the same or cooler than the previous reading.

Once the outside air temperature reading exceeds the previous temperature & the vehicle is traveling less than 18 mph, the displayed outside air temperature will remain at it's last value. Once the speed exceeds 18 mph the displayed outside air temperature will be updated. If the speed drops below 18 mph the temperature will freeze at it's last value.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
I had that happen to mine when I first got my hhr. It stayed at one temp. for hours then started working again the next time I started the car and it has not happen again. (it's been over a year) I think it just had to reboot on the next start up?
I stopped/started it about 6 times during the day.. Still 56*.... Maybe after an "overnite" rest??
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
Maybe ChevyMgr can make sure the text of this document is correct. The docment was torn and illegible in a few spots. I did my best to fill in the gaps based on the context.

Document ID 1850744 from GM. Inaccurate outside temperature display

The outside air temperature algorithm uses 3 pieces of information, outside air temperature data, vehicle speed and the time the engine was turned off. When the engine is first started , the algorithm looks at how long the engine was off and if the outside temperature is lower than the last reading taken during the previous ignition cycle to determine if a new outside temperature reading should be taken....
I think I did all the "right things" based upon the bulletin: Ignition Cycles, driving over 18 mph, engine "off" for sufficient time, etc.... I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow...

Thanks a million for the bulletin: I will use it if I need to visit the Dealer!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Mine stayed at 39F all day--and I know it got to at least 60F by noon and I was driving all over Orange, Anaheim and Santa Ana today.

Except for days like today, it is usually fine.

See you tomorrow!

@
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by sargechris
Thanks a million for the bulletin: I will use it if I need to visit the Dealer!
You probably won't need it, but it doesn't hurt to have it if needed. You either need a reprogram or a BCM. The sensors themselves rarely go bad and usually dashes are displayed when they are bad.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by afs9
Mine stayed at 39F all day--and I know it got to at least 60F by noon and I was driving all over Orange, Anaheim and Santa Ana today.

Except for days like today, it is usually fine.

See you tomorrow!

@
How weird is THAT??? Sunspots??

See you tomorrow also--ready for food, fun, & HHR Talk!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks ChevyMgr! They may actually think I know what I'm talking about when I go in and say "I think the BCM might be bad"....
Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM

My temp sensor failed 8 weeks into ownership. Dealer changed the sensor, but some days, like today, I have to drive 15 minutes continually before the temp display catches up. It DOES eventually catch up.

GM spared no expense with this gadget on the HHR.....

My 2004 GMC truck temp guage works flawlessly....Of course the truck was
much more expensive.

Cajun / Al

Quick Reply: Outside Temp Display