Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   P0300 p0301 p0302 (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/p0300-p0301-p0302-60359/)

RJ_RS_SS_350 04-18-2016 09:30 PM

Flashing check engine light - no codes

2 nights ago I was driving the SS when the check engine light started flashing. I stopped within a few seconds (was driving slow on dirt road), but the light was no longer lit. Put the code reader in - P0300 P0301 P0302. This is not the first time I've got these codes recently.

Yesterday, I swapped the 1 and 2 coil packs with the 3 and 4 coil packs, and cleared the codes to see what happens.

This morning on the way to work, the flashing CEL again for a couple seconds, then the light went out again. Checked for codes, but there were none, and no codes pending. I don't know what to make of this.

Oldblue 04-18-2016 10:03 PM

Let it roll! The computer will need a few run cycles to clear things up and determine if there are any problems .

Dbeluscak 04-18-2016 11:01 PM

Can't agree on that one. While it does take several drive cycles to clear standard CELs. Nothing good comes from it flashing. Albeit, I'm hoping it's a hiccup and goes away. At least you shut it down right away. How good is your reader? I have a cheapo and it will not see everything a good scanner has.

Flashing CEL, I'd say get it to a good scanner. Than see what comes up.

RJ_RS_SS_350 04-19-2016 06:26 AM

This is the reader I have. I'm using torque lite.

donbrew 04-19-2016 07:25 AM

My understanding is: flashing means there is imminent danger of catastrophic failure of the engine. Steady is mostly protecting the cat.

P030x do not store necessarily. It will let one go, but set on the second (I think).

Oldblue 04-19-2016 09:46 AM

So then, Dan and Don you're suggesting to read the codes which aren't there and address the issues of these codes?
Similar to throwing parts at it?
I'm thinking if there is an issue the computer will tell you!
Now one thing that needs to be confirmed is are the grounds clean and tight!
The harness connections to the coils, injectors, all clean and tight?

donbrew 04-19-2016 02:13 PM

No. But it's hard to believe a catastrophic failure is not setting a code. I would think the car would go into limp mode if the CEL was flashing. A simple occasional miss won't cause a flashing CEL.

Maybe you need a sophisticated code reader to look at the ABS and SRS/SIR systems.

It's a virus. That's doctor talk for "I don't know".

Dbeluscak 04-19-2016 08:07 PM

The car won't necessarily go into limp mode. It should, but I've had a flashing CEL before. It means stop immediately and figure it out. I know you're aware of this RJ, since you did shut it down.

It is concerning that no codes are stored. If it was indeed a failure it would most definitely store that code. I'm going to stick with Don on this one, it needs a doctor's visit!

How's your battery? And as blue suggested, check out those grounds. Charge level and grounds do play havoc on our systems but I wouldn't think you'd get a flashing CEL. Possibly if all the dash was flashing. Which it isn't.

Keep us posted buddy!

RJ_RS_SS_350 04-19-2016 09:13 PM

From the google results, flashing CEL is usually misfiring, flashing to protect the cat. So it looks like Don has the right idea, just backwards. I also think Don's onto something, it may not be engine related. After all, If it was engine related, why wouldn't it throw a code, I'd take even a pending code! And why would it flash for only 2 or 3 seconds and go out? Most driver's would likely not even see that in time to know what the heck it was.

Maybe it wasn't "flashing", but instead was thinking about lighting up 2 or 3 times in rapid succession. Still doesn't explain why there was not even a pending code. Or does it?

I actually haven't stopped driving it, drove to work and back today(~70 miles round trip) no light, no flashing, and still no codes. So with the trip home from work yesterday, that's just over 100 miles with no apparent issue.

I'll try to get to a tech2 after work tomorrow, But I'm kinda thinking like Oldblue, that if it were a serious engine problem, there would be codes, or at least flash that dang light long enough to really notice it!

I'm not poo-pooing or ignoring anyone's advice, I did post asking for help. But if I leave it at home, I won't get home from work in time to get it to a Tech2. There's a dealer in the town between home and work that I should be able to get to before they close.

Thanks, everyone, I'll post results back.

donbrew 04-20-2016 07:15 AM

I'm kind of thinking ABS those codes do not show up in a normal scan, you need a ABS capable scanner. Normally the trans will set something.

Anyway, it is odd.