Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Chevy HHR Engine issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Chevy HHR Engine issues.

I purchased a 2008 HHR (standard) that only had 24,095 miles on the engine in July of 2012.

After only a couple months I started having issues with the struts but honestly didn't really think anything of it. I worked for Hospice at the time and did ALOT of driving so I tried to get oil changes as often as I could, and well quite honestly, the reminder got annoying.

In August of 2013 I went for an oil change and my car was making a clicking noise and mainly just seemed like it was doing it when I was shifting gears, so I had asked the mechanic and he said that it was most likely my clutch and "he wouldn't worry about it right away"... Well needless to say I still did but wasn't in the position to pay an insane amount of money to get a new clutch. I was as careful as I could be with the car. Changed my oil on time, all of that because I was afraid something would happen to my engine.

On Thanksgiving 2013, my engine started making this god awful knocking noise and I freaked out. I put oil in it just in case and it still didn't stop the noise. On black Friday I took it to a local Chevy dealership and as soon as I pulled into the lot, they said I had blown a rod.

I had a warranty that I purchased with my car so they came out and inspected my car, which had no sludge, the engine looked clean, etc.. and they said that I neglected my engine. One of the main bearing went out and that a secondary bearing had started going bad and that there were metal fragments all in my engine because it wasn't lubricated or something to that extent. Needless to say I couldn't afford the $6000 engine or even to have mine rebuilt.

My question is, has anyone else had any issues with their engine? I know there are recalls for the ignition switch, which I also had issues with but, I wasn't sure about the engine.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by whopper; 10-13-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: edited a single hard to read paragraph into several paragraphs - hopefully easier to follow and read.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Technical Moderator

You describe benign neglect. Cars need attention. Pouring oil does not count as care. Sorry.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

To answer your question directly, very few have had problems with their engine. Especially if the required maintenance was performed as needed. Yeah, a few have had troubles with engine defects, but your situation....

Can't say for sure, but based on the second paragraph (edited), I would say YOU "toasted" the engine. I believe your neglect of changing the oil as needed and required, caused your engine problems (and the reminder was annoying....really???).

Then further down your post you stated the engine was making noise so you added oil, "just in case".......without even checking if it required oil?????

And the engine had no sludge, it looked clean. Are you relating the condition of the interior or exterior of the engine?

I'm guessing by your post that you have very little knowledge of vehicle engines. This is going to be a very expensive lesson.

I'm really curious to know how many miles the original oil was in the car....when the oil change reminder light came on AND then how many MORE miles did you drive it. In fact, have you ever changed the oil since you had it.....deleting the time you took it to a mechanic who indicated you needed a clutch.

Sorry for your troubles and Good Luck...
Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm. This engine blew almost a year ago and you're just now joining this site and making a post about it ?
Not really sure what kind of answer you're looking for.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry about your engine issues! To answer your last question after 185,000 miles on my 2007 2.2 l I have had none of the bearing or blown rod issues like you have stated, best of luck!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Banned

107,xxx miles on my 2.2 Standard Trans. Burned/leaked oil, but I keep it up. I check at pseudo regular intervals, and use only oil that is appropriate for our cars. My cousin is an AZ Store Manager, and he always makes sure to ask about how things are and ask if I have checked certain things based on the intervals at which I am coming in.

Realistically, oil changes are a small part, and you need to take better car.

I have replaced the shocks/struts, springs, control arms, 2 air box brackets, and either had my oil changed or changed it myself more than 20 times in the last 80k miles of ownership. I have also had a clutch replaced, but that was my heavy foot, not parts as I have heard of members with manual transmission and not heavy footed.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Earlier this summer I got a replacement engine for my '06 from these guys

Buy Used Engines For Sale | SWEngines

My engine with the 3 year warranty cost $1,300.15 total and that included shipping.

Then I found a shop in town that did the actual work. Since you have to raise the car off the ground far enough to be able to drop the engine and transmission in the engine cradle and I couldn't do that at home I had to hire the job.

The shop I went to uses the Chilton repair manual and the recommended time listed in the book when they figure labor on jobs like this. The book said it was around 15 hours labor to change the engine and that's about what they ended up charging me for.

The shop charged $65.00 an hour for labor which was at least $25.00 an hour less than any of the other shops in town.

For me it was less expensive to just replace the engine than to even try to have it rebuilt. Of course a rod had broken and came out the oil pan on my engine. Yours doesn't sound to me in your description like it has that problem.

Total engine replacement is probably the less expensive choice for you, but just getting a different car might be even better, the choice is yours.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your car. But as previously stated oil changes are very vital to an engines life. 2007 2.2, with 152,000 miles. No leaks or seeps.
These engines are very reliable with the proper upkeep.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Wait....this happened nearly a year ago?? And you're just now joining to ask about engine issues? Kind of reminds me of the recent thread about air bag issues.......

Last edited by db/sb; 10-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Bingo db/sb.

And my bet is for a possible 1 time poster.

Quick Reply: Chevy HHR Engine issues.