Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Paint Issues Spring Edition Only ! (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/paint-issues-spring-edition-only-2209/)

ALLR RED 05-24-2006 09:27 PM

Paint Issues Spring Edition Only !

Hi everyone I purchased a new Spring Edition a few weeks ago so I am a newbie to this forum. I have how ever been lurking here for awhile though reading some of the invaluable info. By the way I love it. I was hoping to get a little assistance from other Spring Edition owners. Here's the problem, Several days after I brought it home I notice there was a color difference with the drivers door and the rear passenger door. At first I thought I was seeing things so I decided to give it some time. Well I spent the last two weeks or so looking at it from every possible angle and all different lighting conditions, and there is a definite shade difference. Today I brought it in to the dealer and to my surpise everyone that looked at it saw and acknowledged it. More importantly their body shop manager told me it is definitely a problem with manufacturing. We looked at a couple of other new Spring Editions that were on the lot and saw similar flaws. As it stands now we are waiting for the factory rep to take a look at it and determine what course of action will be taken. That should be fun :clappy: Anyway what I am asking is, if any of you other Spring Edition owners would like to take a look at yours. To best check it you need to stand approx. 10 to 12 feet way if you have the same issue believe me you will see it. It would appear some are worse than others. At this point in time I am not sure what course they will want to take, but I am curious to see how many others like mine are out there. Thanks in advance for any help!

GDZHHR 05-24-2006 09:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking mine tommorow!

TomsHHR 05-24-2006 09:39 PM

Some other HHR owners with varing colors have noticed the same issue in the past. Some of the discussion was that body parts may of been painted at different times. Hoods and doors were discussed if not on this forum on another forum. I remenber this from October and early Nov. Try a search for paint issues.

Welcome and glad to have another S.E. HHR Owner here..:welcome: :hhr: :welcome: :steering:

dbarberaz 05-24-2006 10:00 PM

Well I can not see anything on my Amethyst color. But when I took it in to have them look at the hood dent the body shop guy noticed that my hood and bumper where a slight shade off. It said with special paint colors sometimes come out a little off.

cvrogershhr 05-27-2006 03:04 AM

I've noticed this in about all vehicles today. The way these things are painted then assembled, I'm surprised you don't see a Dark Silver car with a Silver metalic Hood. Gm has always had different shades of colors on their vehicles. Really Ford and Chrysler do to. They paint part of the vehicle in one shop and the other in another section and different times. And of course there is the change in batches of paint too i'm sure. My Dark Silver/Gray HHR does have a little different shade on the doors compared to the rear quarter panel and the hood, but it's so close, I'd be afraid the colors would really be off if they tried to patch it. I've seen GMC emblems on Chevrolet trucks, I've seen Firebird emblems on Camaro's. Maybe if they repainted the whole vehicle?....Na I doubt they would, but you could press it i'm sure if there is that much difference. To me it does make each vehicle unique, like it's own finger print.
It is frustrating to see such workmanship show so at times though.:bow:

MikeX 05-27-2006 07:37 AM

Is the same door on each HHR you looked at different? Or is it different parts on each car? The reason I ask is that it seems to me its more significant than parts being painted on different days. After all, how in the world can a body shop get anything to match after repairing and painting, perhaps years after a car was built, if they can't count on the paint being an axact formula, exact color? I would bet that the paint they used was simply mixed wrong from the supplier, and all parts painted with that batch are the wrong color.

In any event your in for a lot of fun - not.

YGROWUPANYWAY 05-27-2006 08:32 AM

Spring Victory Red Paint problems

Yes, I also had paint matching problems. Both Spring edition HHR that my dealer had was defective. I ordered mine before they came out and the local body shop corrected mine and when I went to pick my HHR up, the other one was in the bodyshop for paint. I have noticed this on several others also. Dont seem to know what has happen to GM's quality control.

ALLR RED 05-27-2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by YGROWUPANYWAY
Yes, I also had paint matching problems. Both Spring edition HHR that my dealer had was defective. I ordered mine before they came out and the local body shop corrected mine and when I went to pick my HHR up, the other one was in the bodyshop for paint. I have noticed this on several others also. Dont seem to know what has happen to GM's quality control.

Sent you an e-mail regarding this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

Skatetheglobe 05-27-2006 10:49 AM

nice another Florida owner..Welcome!

ToddH 05-27-2006 10:53 AM

Mine seems to be fine. The only thing they left on from the factory was some tape where the top of the back door connects to the body. I haven't taken time to remove it yet to see what is behind it. It just might be some kind of protection when they mount the back door on.