Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Pass. side water leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Pass. side water leak

My daughter is the proud owner of a 2008 4dr HHR. We have had several very heavy and long lasting rains in north Ga. The passenger side front floor board was holding enough water to make the floor mat float. I have pulled the wiper cowl off and looked around, none of the drains are clogged. I have pulled off the kick panels and peeled the carpet back, the matting that lays against the firewall has turned into a sponge.

Am I correct in thinking that an 08 model doesn't come with or need a butyl patch? There wasn't any evidence of a patch being there before. I noticed a drain at each corner of the wiper cowl area and one drain directly in front of the fresh air intake. By the looks of things, I don't see a way for the water to come in through there. I also checked the fresh air filter, it doesn't appear to have been wet and I cannot find any moisture around the blower motor.

I have done a search and only saw things that pertained to the older models or those with sunroofs (really glad my daughter's doesn't have one).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm off to view the customizing tips...because I can never leave anything stock for long....lol
Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Check the passenger door/fender gasket for the electrical feed. I believe some owners expressed problems in that area. I would think if you removed the kick panel something would indicate water intrusion.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Late 08 on they stopped with the patch and redesigned the "hole" under the cowl. It now has a slightly raised edge around it and a stamped piece of metal bent downwards to act like a drip edge on a houses roof-directs the water towards the drain hole at the bottom. I have an 09 and looked at mine just to see. The only other major leak problem areas to look at is like stated-the body panel seal. There was an issue with "air bubbles" in the adhesive used to glue the panels together. Caused the leak issue as it "wicked" the rushing water between the seam right down inside the car. Take off the lower passenger side plastic covering that is up against where your right foot would be & run water down the wind shield to see where it enters the car. Also check the that the rubber tube hiding the wiring is secure against the car.

Some people with sunroofs though had leak problems in drain tubes that ran down inside the A-Pillers.

If you do searches on GOOGLE I found that it is easier to find things on ChevyHHR.Net-GOOGLE usually points to this site with at least 4 posts or more related to your search. Make sure though when you google your question you put the year and chevy hhr in the question... works for me every time!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Here's one from GOOGLE:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/2008-hhr-water-floor-solved-32427/

Just for fun-look what else Google Showed for 2008 chevy hhr water leaks.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34603

BY THE WAY----WELCOME & ENJOY THE RIDE! (Of course after the leak is fixed)
Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM

did some more troubleshooting

Pulled kick panels, pulled back carpet and padding, looked everything over while dry. Ran water over the roof so it was coming down the windshield and over the passenger door area. Couldn't find a leak anywhere after 45 mins of running water, did notice that the drains seemed to be working fine. Also didn't see anything that worried me about the adhesive where the body panels are seamed together. sat inside while the water was running and looked into every corner and crevice I could get my 6 foot frame into....lol. I paid close attention to where the wire loom goes through the body and into the door. I couldn't see or feel any moisture anywhere in that area.

I am at a loss right now, but when time allows, I will dig a little deeper.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome.....

I'd clean around the door (wiring) grommets & wipe a thin layer of clear silicone around them. I did that on my 08 as a preventative measure..

Do you have a sun roof ??

Here's some other possible areas to check:

04-15-2008

TSB #07-08-57-001B: Water Leak, Front and Rear Carpet Wet, Mildew Odor When A/C is Turned On or Blower Motor Inoperative (Reseal Body Seams) - (Nov 29, 2007) Subject: Water Leak / Front and Rear Carpet Wet, Mildew Odor When A/C is Turned On or Blower Motor Inoperative (Reseal Body Seams) Models: 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This bulletin is being revised to include an additional water leak concern at the outside mirrors. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-57-001A (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Condition Some customers may comment on the following concerns: • The carpet is wet. • The HVAC blower is inoperative. • There is condensation on the windshield or side glass. • A mildew odor when the A/C is turned on. Cause These conditions may be caused by the following: • Air bubbles in the body sealer (front of dash). • Module plate not sealing. • Front body hinge pillar not sealing. • Leaking cowl air inlet butyl patch. • Door water / dust deflectors. • Mirror retention clip not sealed. **We have found that the cowl inlet butyl patch is the most common cause of condensation on the windshield. This is located under the plastic cowl cover (where the wiper arms are). This butyl patch is suppose to keep water/moisture out of the air inlet ducts.