Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   please help ! (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/please-help-47669/)

whopper 08-28-2013 12:54 AM

Can you expand what you mean when you say "not wanting to run when engine is hot"? Are you meaning once it is up to temperature and you shut it off, "it won't restart when the engine is hot"?

Does it die/stall/run rough at all while driving prior to the problem?

jack kelly 08-28-2013 08:53 AM

wont start after being run when it is up to temp. it did however start to run rough and stall
temp on dic was 206 . this only happend once but this symptom is most recent. hasent stalled while going down the road yet but that is probably coming soon. buddy of mine told me to put a lower temp stat in just to see if anything would change, what is your opinion.

jack kelly 08-28-2013 09:01 AM

forgot to mention i put in a temp gauge sensor under the coil reads very close to temp. valve cover and coil temp are 160 to 180 hours later if left to cool on its own. if that helps any?

jack kelly 08-28-2013 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by jack kelly (Post 718184)
forgot to mention i put in a temp gauge sensor under the coil reads very close to temp. valve cover and coil temp are 160 to 180 hours later if left to cool on its own. if that helps any?

a mind is a terrible thing to waste , thats why i dont have one.

whopper 08-28-2013 09:06 AM

Good info - the temp of 208 is well within specs. No need to change the thermostat at all.

It sure would make it easier to diagnose if the Check Engine Light lit up.

It sure sounds like a heat soak issue causing fuel problems. I wonder if spraying some of the components under the hood with a can of compressed air (turned upside down to expel the contents which are then super cold) would help pinpoint the problem? I think that is what I would try - it's handy stuff for pinpointing electrical problems, and works fast and leaves no residue (just don't get too much of it on your fingers else you can get frostbite).

Hey, when it does start after being hot, does it struggle to start, or does it fire right up like when it is cold and seems perfectly normal?

whopper 08-28-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jack kelly (Post 718184)

Not sure what you mean by "under the coil"???

jack kelly 08-28-2013 09:13 AM

fires right up like brand new. will try the arosal trick later today when the rain stops.

jack kelly 08-28-2013 09:16 AM

the space between valve cover vally and the coil were the plugs go down in to head.

whopper 08-28-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by jack kelly (Post 718189)
the space between valve cover vally and the coil were the plugs go down in to head.

Ahhh - got it. thanks for the explanation.

You sure got an oddball issue there. It might even be a poor electrical contact somewhere that is temperature related - but it sure sounds like classic heat soak.

IF you get it up to temp, then shut it down, and do an immediate restart (as opposed to letting it sit for 5 minutes or so), does it fail to start?

jack kelly 08-28-2013 09:23 AM

50- 50 chance. but after 5 min no chance