Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Poor gas mileage

Took my first long trip in the HHR this weekend and my gas mileage was horrible! I got 26.1 on a 300+ mile trip. Minimal stop and go. Is this about what I can expect? The car was loaded, myself and 4 kids, however all of my area small. I have also seen poor gas mileage in town since we got the car. I was really hoping to see around 32 or so. Any ideas, or should I just take it in?

Doc
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 PM

how fast did you average on the trip? speed wise?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM

My avg speed for the entire trip was 65 MPH, I was driving 70-75 depending on the highway. 3 total stops.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 PM

The car is rated at 30 MPG for highway driving. You were going faster than the EPA test in a fully loaded car. This should not be too surprising.

Mark
Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 PM

Yea, I was thinking that my speeds and being loaded down could have an effect, but I get lousy mileage in the city too, around 18 and thats taking it easy on the gas pedal LOL.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 PM

I have similar mileage. I have had the car for about a month and have done almost exclusively highway driving. I have never averaged better than 27 mpg and it is usually 25-26 mpg which is a little more than what I get in the city. I am rather disappointed, only because I expected more from a 4 cyl. Besides, I have read several threads about people getting higher than EPA estimates on the highway. BTW this is an unloaded car with just me in it, nothing else.

Obviously, the car is like driving a brick down the road and that significantly affects the highway mileage with an increase in speed. I have noticed, however, that if you stay in the 55-65 mph range the car does get about 29-30, but as soon as you hit 65+ its all down hill from there. BTW I usually average about 75+ on the highway. I guess I should just slow down, but the car is so smooth and happy going fast.

EDIT: Hi to all, this is my first post
Old 12-17-2006, 01:12 AM

I just rolled over 10000 miles on mine and I get around 24 in town with lots of stop lights. (It's 12 miles to work, 25 traffic lights one way)(YES, I counted, it's damm boring stoping and starting like that!)

The best I have ever gotten was 26 miles/gal. going to see Jay in Miami (200 miles) but I drive in the left lane and get out of my way!!!!!

I tried to drive keeping the rpm's at 2500 or less for a whole tank of gas, but I felt like a little old lady driving..........thought I was going to pull my hair out. I didn't make it!

Will see what happens on todays road trip to Naples.

Theresa
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Asylum_Doc
. Any ideas, or should I just take it in? Doc
Originally Posted by Peoples1234
Hi to all, this is my first post
Welcome to the site, both of you guys!! LOTS of very useful info here, with a big side of entertainment!

Doc, how many miles have you put on so far? It gets alot better after the first couple of thousands.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:29 AM

I have a couple ideas on your gas mileage.

First of all what octane are you using. Which ever it is you just need to be consistant so the computer knows what your using. If you "upgrade" just for a trip you are probably going to just be wasting money.

Second, I'm sure the weight has a little to do with it, but not as much as other factors.

Lastly, there's the gas you purchased. This time of year, especially in our area, we are on a winter mix. You are going to get worse mileage no matter what you do. Also it seems to me that we are always more suseptable to getting gas w/ a little more water in it.

We made a trip to Kansas City from STL this weekend. 75mph the entire way, cruise set. On the way out, my wife had got gas at a phillips 66. I'm sure it was bad gas and I was pissing and moaning about it the whole way. 25ish mpg. We ran the tank down in town and filled up at a QT on the way back. 29.6 mpg and we had more weight in the car from shopping and gifts. We had about 650lbs in people and 100lbs in stuff, give or take.

I think the biggest issue is trust the places you get gas from and expect a little bit worse mileage during the winter due to temp and winter fuel mix.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:41 AM

My mileage has been pretty consistent 20-22 around town, 28-30 on the highway. When my daughter was going to school away from home, she calcualetd my gas mileag on several trips. (she's an engineer). The best that I ever got was 34 mpg down hill with a tailwind on Route 84 in Connecticut. With all of her stuff except large furniture jammed in, I got 29 highway. And that was with the driver and 2 passengers, plus all of that assorted stuff she had. All in all I am quite pleased.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage