Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

"POWER STEERING" Assist, Fails & Returns!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Unhappy "POWER STEERING" Assist, Fails & Returns!- "continued"

Well, here's a new oddity for ya. On 4 occasions on route from Fl. To NY,
my 08 HHR (automatic, w/2.2 engine) randomly displays "power steering" on dash display as simultaneously, the power assist quits! Hard-Steering difficulty results, till such time as I turn off the engine and restart it to get power assist immediately back once again. (Note; This problem occurred within about one day after the coolant temp gauge ceased to budge from no reading, or zero degrees.) I suspect that's just the coolant temp sensor at fault.
Still, the steering issue is much more of a concern.
I have an appointment next week, with a dealership svc ctr. I'm not looking forward to that encounter for obvious cost issues in diagnostics & repairs. They did mention the recall for the ignition switch, but didn't necessarily link the issues together or have the switch part in stock yet. I Guess time will tell.
Continued- I have just bought and installed the new motor right at the dealership's parking lot to avoid core charge of 40 bucks and an extra long round trip. The bad news is, that the new motor did not work the first time the car was started. that is, no power steering assist. It worked immediately after the second start up,the just like the (original) old one that I was replacing and blaming for fault. The sevice tech also concluded that the problem must be something other than the motor itself. Oddly, once again the coolant temp gauge and degrees on the dash display have once again ceased to work. (Coincidence?? I'm not so sure.) Something must be up with the steering assist module, or some kind of "position sensor inside the steering column" (says the dealership's service tech.)
I have to bring it in for them to start diagnostics. (Ouch! I think this is going to hurt!) I really hoped the new motor would be the fix, but apparently another issue is at fault here. I'm still baffled as to why shutting off and re-starting the vehicle, Consistently, makes the steering assist work again. But only for seemingly random blocks of time. (A bad motor usually just "quits". It doesn't fix itself because you restarted the car, two seconds later. The tech agreed with me.
ps. Thank goodness! they refunded my, $112.58 for the "nonrefundable electronic part" as stated on their Parts dept. invoice. ( at:Arroway Chevrolet, Mt. Kisco N.Y.)

I'll keep you all posted. and feel free to comment if you like.

Last edited by musicman190; 05-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM

There are many threads on the KNOWN power steering issue. Use the search function. It is a $100-$120 part and most dealers will stock them. It takes 15-30 minutes to replace and most anyone can do it.

As for the other issue I have not encountered that and can not offer any input sorry.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Power steering motor - replace it - as per https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

Temperature gauges not working - replace the thermostat see https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-save-%24350-00-thermostat-replacement-2-4l-p0128-24493/
Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Technical Moderator

The power steering motor is most likely covered by the current "fixit call". As I understand , if your P/S is acting up it's a FREE fix at a GM dealer. Call one to make sure.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Power steering motor , dealer replacement is free if the code still is in history or the display is still on, see your dealer for details, as for the coolant gauge issue use GM t stat, they will open at the correct temp and time to keep the BCM happy
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM

thank you old blue..
I have rebooted the computer, and cleared the trouble codes by disconnecting the battery for about 10 seconds. suddenly, the temp gauge and its display on the dash are working, and the steering is fine for the time being. (till next time I suppose.) thanks again.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

And expect the temperature gauge to keep coming back periodically until you change the thermostat, especially on cool mornings.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 PM

great to know that this is not an uncommon problem i guess. I will ask the dealership about it's policies on steering motor replacements. thank you.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

FWIW. It's not about a dealership's policies. It's about GM offering to replace the PS motor.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Technical Moderator

SO, now there were trouble codes? You cleared them after you were advised that the code needed to be in memory to prove the fault to GM?

For future reference; if you have trouble codes tell us about them. They really help in diagnosing, that's why they are DiagnosticTroubleCodes.

Quick Reply: "POWER STEERING" Assist, Fails & Returns!