Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

power steering motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Unhappy power steering motor

I having issues with " power steering " in dic fails at various and numerous times. Spoke to dealer about this GM has not issued a recall on HHR, although same issue with same motor part on other GM cars has had a recall to repair. So I am stuck buying a part from dealer 104 + or somewhere else.
I chose somewhere else and saved about 25 bucks.

this is a heads up in the event you have this issue it is an electric motor
that controls the power steering not the good old fashioned hydralic pump.

It is a shame that GM will recall one car but not the others with same issue and same part failure
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

While I'm glad you were able to fix your car, I will say this.....

Man, get with the times. This HHR is now 8 years old and your statements are NOT new information. EVERYTHING you have stated has been said before. A simple search, in the Search bar at the top middle, would have revealed many threads .

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic....it was meant to be. I'm tired of owners coming to the forum and crying over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again about the same issues when a simple search could have revealed similar results.

I always welcome constructive criticism and an occasional rant.....if it is embraces a new problem. But this is ridiculous.

Now my rant is over.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

A comment on the "good old fashioned hydraulic pump".

Leaking pumps seals. Leaking or busted lines. Belts that have to be replaced. Pumps going bad.
Yeah. I kind of like this new electric motor set up. If the EPS motor goes bad, it's an easier, cleaner and cheaper fix compared to the old type.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Electric steering motor

I for one think this type of steering is slick. It takes no hp from the engine, is as foolproof as possible and is an easy r&r if the motor goes out.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 PM

snoopy

thanks so much for your understanding and critical attitude,
some people are not as well versed as you apparently are on forums
and while we may make mistakes it is people with your attitude that discourage more particpation. if you thougt the question or rather statement i made to try to help someone else and raise the issue of why no recall, was stupid you did not have to reply at all.

rather than being sarcastic you might try to be helpful
Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Deceased

Well this thread sure went sideways on us, I'm sorry to hear you experienced problems with your EPS lwyatt, and it's been covered here in depth including this excellent "How To: thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

Unfortunately, there will never likely be a recall for the HHR's power steering motors, the NHTSA bases its recall campaign requirements on the number of incidents reported to them, and the EPS complaints on the HHR never reached the required number.

There was a recall/repair campaign for Canadian owners, but that was instituted by Transport Canada, which has nothing to do with U.S. market vehicles.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

I bit my tongue on this one from the very start. Yes this has been discussed to death previously - both on the points that the motor fails, and yes that it is not under an extended warranty by GM in the States.

So Snoopy is absolutely right on those counts. So really the original posting was unnecessary - and I too am getting rather frustrated with some of the new posts we are getting over what most would consider frivolous and very simple problems. And I don't think I am the only one feeling that way, judging from some of the responses from long term members.

I'm getting rather tired of posting "use the SEARCH tool" - which is an awesome tool if people used it. When I first joined this and other forums, if I was looking for information the first thing I would do was use the search tool, and only after exhausting my searches would I post a question. Seemed the courteous thing to do.

I'm stepping away from the forum for a few days - will see if my frustration level drops off.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Technical Moderator

And I didn't type a word!