Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clicking - anyone else had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Exclamation Clicking - anyone else had this issue?

Hello! This morning, after putting the HHR in drive I heard a strange clicking sound the first time I applied the brakes. I then heard the same clicking sound after releasing the brake pedal. Then, when I arrived at my destination, I noticed that the doors did not unlock. (I have it programmed where the doors lock when you put the car in gear and unlock when you put it in park). Then after work, the remote start wasn't working. I talked to my dad, who is a parts manager at a GM dealership, and he thinks it is all somehow connected, and that the issue is with the shifter and the mechanism that detects when you apply the brake to shift from park. This would make sense, since everything that is going wrong seems to be connected to the clicking sound that I am hearing from the area of the shifter.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else have any ideas on what could be causing this. I am going to call the local Chevrolet dealer tomorrow to schedule an appointment, but I was just curious if anyone else has had this type of issue with their beloved HHR!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Angry

so 43 views on this thread, and no one has anything to say? Am I the only one who has experienced this problem?!?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Sorry jeremy, I haven't had this issue and have no clue what it might be.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Im not sure if this is your issue...but if a major fuse (Im having a brain fart and can't for the life of me remember the actual term for it...but they are the big square silver or black ones) go out...you will hear a clicking noise as the electricity goes to it to make it work. I sold cars for 15 years and this happened a lot. It sounds like your problem but of course, it may not be. Good luck with the service dept.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Cool

Thanks greyghost...that actually makes a lot of sense & could be another possibility. I am droppin' her off on Tuesday, and we'll see what's wrong. Seems my baby has a rare condition, since none of the other thousands of members has experienced this...makes me feel kind of special!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:01 PM

There's no way to be 100% sure until you take it in for service (then again, 9 times out of 10, they will just tell you that the problem cannot be reproduced). However, I have to vote for the shifting mechanism as well. Have experienced something similar with other Chevy models.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM

I just noticed last night that I have half your problem. When I apply the brake before I switch from Park to Drive, there is a click that seems to come from the gearshift, but my doors lock and unlock as usual. The clicking is the only thing that is happening. I won't be able to take it in for a while, though... we just got hit by another snowstorm. 3.5" so far and still goin strong
Old 01-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
I just noticed last night that I have half your problem. When I apply the brake before I switch from Park to Drive, there is a click that seems to come from the gearshift, but my doors lock and unlock as usual. The clicking is the only thing that is happening. I won't be able to take it in for a while, though... we just got hit by another snowstorm. 3.5" so far and still goin strong
That's a normal click, it's supposed to be there. That's the shifting mechanism disengaging (or would that be engaging?), allowing you to shift out of park
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by greyghost
Im not sure if this is your issue...but if a major fuse (Im having a brain fart and can't for the life of me remember the actual term for it...but they are the big square silver or black ones) go out...you will hear a clicking noise as the electricity goes to it to make it work. I sold cars for 15 years and this happened a lot. It sounds like your problem but of course, it may not be. Good luck with the service dept.
Relays.........for all the high power stuff like window motors, etc. Helps with power draw
Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 PM

YUP...RELAYS! They click when theyre bad!

Quick Reply: Clicking - anyone else had this issue?