Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Question on A/C growl/whine (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/question-c-growl-whine-16150/)

pitbull76 06-27-2008 08:55 AM

Question on A/C growl/whine

I have a question for owners out there... I know that there is a TSB for the compressor growl/whine. My car's A/C compressor does make more noise than any other car I've owned, and is quite noticeable, but it is not too terribly loud. You can easily hear the difference with the A/C on vs off at pretty much any speed. Is that the noise covered by the TSB, or is mine just normal? It's done this since new if that matters. I would like to get it fixed if it is really a problem, but if it's normal I don't really want to bug my dealer for this. Thanks.

-Mike

Snoopy 06-27-2008 11:11 AM

The noise is probably the mentioned TSB "whine".

To my knowledge (limited at times), the noise does not present a functional problem. But it does get louder. If you are under warranty, get it fixed and not worry about it. If not, discuss the issue with the Service Writer/Manager before committing to any work.

Generally, the parts need to be ordered before the work can be done.

pitbull76 06-27-2008 12:53 PM

So yours is basically quiet. I am under warranty and should have no issue with getting it covered based on past experience. I just wanted to make sure that my expectations were reasonable before bugging the dealer.

Black Rose 06-29-2008 09:44 AM

It sounds like the A/C growl problem.

I had the TSB work done last year. The A/C is quieter than it was before, but it still has a bit of a growl to it.

If you're still under warranty, get it done. If nothing else, you get your A/C system recharged for free.

Snoopy 06-29-2008 01:33 PM

As stated....

Yes the parts change, under the TSB, does reduce the while/growl considerably and noticeably. A SLIGHT noise, but not more than normal, will be heard after the repair.

MY OPINION.......it's worth the repair.

Cardwiz428 07-07-2008 10:44 PM

Guess what? I went from Honolulu to Las Vegas and not only do I get a growl but it smells like a wet rag. Parts on order to reserice the A/C but they are not R2 the compressor.:roll:

GCarp 07-08-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cardwiz428 (Post 286910)
I went from Honolulu to Las Vegas and not only do I get a growl but it smells like a wet rag.

:eek: :steering: :scared: Musta been a heck of a ride... Any water on the passenger side floor? :rof:

Alzonie 07-08-2008 01:22 PM

:lol: Must have been tough finding gas stations! :roll:

BUtchk 07-14-2008 12:53 PM

Mine makes noise also

I took my 2006 LT2 in for the recall where they put the bubble rap in the head liner. I told them about the growl when I used the air in my car. They checked it out and found a leak in the front seal and replaced the compressor. It still growls just about as loud as it did before. Maybe it is something with those compressors.:confused:

pitbull76 08-21-2008 08:59 PM

Well, I finally asked the dealer about it when I took the car in for a dead blower motor. They agreed the compressor was too loud, and boy what a difference. I can't even hear the new one running. It's much much quieter. Anyone still in warranty with a noisy compressor, get it fixed. It's worth it.

KYRVNUT 09-30-2008 03:26 PM

AC now 'cool', not 'cold' after compressor was replaced

Hello...

My 2006 HHR with ~4200 miles had the noisy AC compressor noted in this discussion thread.

The dealer replaced the compressor the end of last week. The noise is now gone. However, the unit now blows cool air, not cold. I took it back today and the dealer said everything is "normal". He said it was fully charged and blowing ~40 degrees. If it is 40 degrees now, then it must have been 10 degrees below zero before. :-)

I did see in this post or another one, that someone mentioned the noisy compressor may have been related to the AC system being overcharged. So I don't know if this was the case on mine and I was just spoiled have really cold air before.

Has anyone else experienced this after having their compressor replaced?

Thank you,

David

ChevyMgr 09-30-2008 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by KYRVNUT (Post 315785)
I did see in this post or another one, that someone mentioned the noisy compressor may have been related to the AC system being overcharged. So I don't know if this was the case on mine and I was just spoiled have really cold air before.

If the system is overcharged with freon it will not cool as well and normally will not contribute to noise. Too much compressor oil will also cause insufficient cooling.

Firewatcher 09-30-2008 04:59 PM

I had mine repaired in 2006 under the TSB. Never had a problem after that.