Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Rattle in steering column (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/rattle-steering-column-53655/)

Greybeard999 05-26-2020 08:53 AM

I was talking to the owner of the shop where I take the HHR and my truck about intermediate shaft rattle. He says he gets a lot of complaints... mostly with trucks (all brands) When inspected they can find nothing wrong, no slop, no play, no noise while on the bench. A shot of lube seems to fix the problem... No return complaints.

I think the "rattle" is being amplified through the steering column from virtually nothing "on the bench" to "sounds like a serious issue"...

Lethal Tendencies 05-26-2020 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 894068)
Where you able to slide the intermediate steering shaft at all , if you did slide it then that moved the grease around and lubed the shaft.

Yes It moved easily. That was my thought too, that moving the greas back and forth helped. Anyway if the noise comes back I am definitely ordering the OEM replacement

Oldblue 05-26-2020 10:40 AM

My 2007, the shaft was seized solid, no movement at all, but it was rattling and the outside u-joint was clicking, my first order the yoke was to short to the steering rack shaft, I ordered a GM part from my local dealership problem solved!

MDoherty97 11-10-2021 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jwbrookhouse (Post 777961)
Hey everyone.

I've read several posts that dealt with steering column noise, but the circumstances of mine seem to be different. Most talk about a rattle at slow speeds, but mine happens at freeway speeds (approximately 45 mph and above). It also only happens when the car is driving straight. As soon as there is a curve in the road and the steering wheel turns, the rattle generally goes away. The sound definitely seems to be emanating from the column and not further down.

I've tried applying pressure to the steering wheel to see if that had any impact, but it did not. The only thing that seems to impact the rattle is the position of the steering wheel and the speed of the car.

This rattle doesn't happen ALL of the time, but it probably happens more than it doesn't.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the rattle? Anyone had any experience with this kind of repair and the cost I might be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your input!

When I replaced the steering wheel of my Malibu I forgot to grease the splines for the steering wheel, where it connects to the steering column, right under the plastic cover right under the steering wheel. Took it apart again, greased it, rattle went away. I have several rattles in mine but I can say being fairly sure that might help

Oldblue 11-10-2021 04:33 PM

Maybe the splines in the intermediate shaft are dry.