Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problems from Rear end collision

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Unhappy Problems from Rear end collision

Reckless someone rear ended the car. After one month of driving a small dripping leak started. Oil is full. Wondering if the collision may have shifted something on the transmission to create a leak? Can a rear end hit shift anything to create a oil or transmission leak? Finances low and need suggestion of what the leak might be. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Deceased

aboard!

Honestly a hard enough hit could cause a leak, but being that you were rear ended, I would expect any leaks to be aft of the passenger compartment. Fuel leaks, brake fluid leaks, etc.

When your HHR is dead cold, slide some cardboard under the leaking end and examine what drips onto the cardboard overnight.

Engine oil will be amber to brown in color and feel like oil, transmission fluid will be reddish and feel less slippery than engine oil, and the coolant will be orange in color and smell like antifreeze.

Since you were rear ended, the responsibility to repair your vehicle would fall on the other driver's insurance

Almost all underwriters have some form of "Hidden Damage" clauses for issues that crop up after a vehicle has been fixed.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks 843de - for the response. It's oil thanks. Now
Can a rear end hit shift anything to create a oil leak from an upper part of the engine.
I hope not but can it shift the crankshaft??? Hoping it's not the rear or front crankshaft seals. Much appreciation for the quick response!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the collision would affect the crankshaft - it just would not happen.

If it is coming from the upper part of the engine, then it isn't the crankshaft.

Best advice is to give the engine a good cleaning and visually track the leak back to the source. Post pictures of what you find, and we'll see if we can offer some further suggestions on a fix.

Sources of oil leaks are typically the valve cover, the valve cover fill tube, timing chain cover gasket or seal, the various sensors that plug into the block, gasket on the oil filter cap. A couple of people have reported that their oil leak was due to spilled oil during an oil change that worked it's way down the valve cover/block if I remember right.

Get in there with a flashlight and trace it back to the source, and post those pics.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM

We were just rear ended last week in our 2007 HHR. Neither my wife or I are injured, fortunately, but the impact was hard enough to shove the HHR forward 20 feet or so, and my wife's glasses flew off. Car is now at the shop, and I'm impressed with how the HHR absorbed the impact. The bumper skin, of course is history, but the only other damage was to the shock absorber, and to the mount behind the bumper. Total bill, I'm told a little over $1100.00. Amazing how the sacrificial parts sacrificed themselves to save the really expensive stuff.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Good to know.

Glad to hear that there were no injuries - let us know how the repairs turn out.

Yeah they are pretty tough at times - I was surprised ours took a tree falling on the hood as well as it did a few years ago - I think the tree got the worst of it.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Glad you're OK!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Good to know.

Glad to hear that there were no injuries - let us know how the repairs turn out.

Yeah they are pretty tough at times - I was surprised ours took a tree falling on the hood as well as it did a few years ago - I think the tree got the worst of it.
Got the HHR back yesterday afternoon. Looks like nothing ever happened to it. Shop was impressed with the fact that damage was completely contained to the bumper, shock and bumper mounts. Zero damage to car beyond those mounts. They all did their sacrificial jobs.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Good news, now keep her clean and drive her often!!! They are neat little buggies, and they do protect you as need be!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Glad it came back looking like new.