Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Remote Start works then kills engine (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/remote-start-works-then-kills-engine-52048/)

maveric191 10-17-2014 03:35 AM

Remote Start works then kills engine

Y'all have saved me a ton of time and headache in the past with just about every issues that's come up with my HHR.

So here's the latest issues(sorry if its somewhere I'm at work and on my Iphone)
I can start the car with the remote start. The engine will fire up and run for about 10 sec then turn off. Once its off it won't start unless Via the key.

I just had a new 140 amp alt and battery installed about 2 weeks ago. any thoughts??

06 HRR LT with 126050 Mi

Lucky 10-18-2014 12:35 AM

I would stop by your local parts store and get the codes read. It may give you a place to start.

If there is a code in the system the remote start will be disabled. Although with a code in the system the remote start shouldn't work at all but sometime weird things happen.

donbrew 10-18-2014 11:45 AM

My wild guess is that the tech jiggled a wire while replacing the alternator.

Does the lock & key icon light up on the dash after it stops? Are all of the doors closed and locked?

Any other seemingly unrelated quirks going on? The remote start involves a couple of computers, you never know what they think is important.

Oldblue 10-18-2014 11:48 AM

Is the hood closed switch adjusted correctly?

maveric191 10-19-2014 07:48 PM

sorry for the delay will check the above and post back
a

maveric191 10-20-2014 08:15 AM

Yes the lock n Key icon come on but then shortly turn themselves off again. All doors are locked and it doesn't look like there's anything funky with the hood or its latch...

Thoughts before I drag it in for the codes or back to the shop that did the work?

Edit: I did notice that my dash and headlights are flickering again depending on the power load, nothing like they were before the alt replacement but still there. wondering if I got a bad alt

badassbowtie 10-22-2014 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by maveric191 (Post 762018)
Yes the lock n Key icon come on but then shortly turn themselves off again. All doors are locked and it doesn't look like there's anything funky with the hood or its latch...

Thoughts before I drag it in for the codes or back to the shop that did the work?

Edit: I did notice that my dash and headlights are flickering again depending on the power load, nothing like they were before the alt replacement but still there. wondering if I got a bad alt

There are many opinions on the use of capacitors...basic electricity says that even with you upgraded alternator, it may not be able to provide the amps being drawn when the big bass note "hits" Capacitors hold a charge like a battery to prevent a voltage drop to the rest of the electrical system

maveric191 10-22-2014 08:10 PM

Ok back from the shop that did the work. We've checked the electrical system top to bottom with nothing out of place loose or missing. They did find a TSB(06-06-03-003) that describes the issue to a T. Guess it's off the to dealer for a reflash again, Had them reflash it a couple months ago to see if that dang loud crack would go away in the audio on some starts. >:-(

donbrew 10-22-2014 08:18 PM

Well that's new seemingly unrelated info.