Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reocurring HHR Issues - Cam Sensor, Rough Idle, Shifting/Power Issues, Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Reocurring HHR Issues - Cam Sensor, Rough Idle, Shifting/Power Issues, Burning Smell

Hello, I am new to this forum, and have appreciated the info I have received so far. I’m hoping some people may be able to weigh in on my problem…

I have a 2009 HHR LT with 43,000 miles, automatic transmission. I bought the car at 22,000 miles 2 years ago, and it’s covered under a pre-owned warranty until 45,000 miles. The car has run fantastically up until about 2 months ago. I started noticing a really rough idle – it wasn’t just a vibrating – it was almost as if the whole car was bucking back and forth like somebody was pushing down on the bumper. This was followed by a check engine light.
I took the car to the dealer – was getting codes p0010 and p0011, which after doing research on this forum, indicates the apparently common intake cam position sensor issue. The dealership replaced the sensor and sent me on my way.

At first, the car was running fine, even seemed a bit smoother. But over the next several days, the performance started to degrade. About a week and a half later, the bucking idle started back occasionally, started getting worse, and the CEL came back on.

I took it back to the dealer. It was throwing the same codes, p0010 and p0011. They called me a day later and said the car was ready. I asked what they had done, and they said they replaced the intake cam position sensor. I expressed my concern that this was the same exact part they replaced a couple of weeks ago. They answered by saying it must have been a bad part. Recognizing that this was the least logical explanation, I picked up the car anyway, incredibly frustrated.

While the intense bucking idle was gone, the car is running terribly. There is still a rough idle, but it is more like a vibrating I can feel in the steering wheel and seat (definitely wasn’t there up until 2 months ago). The car is not shifting when it should be – this is especially noticeable when driving in traffic during lots of gear changes. Sometimes to get it to switch gears, I have to really lay on the gas pedal – has a tendency to ride right around 3,000 RPMs without changing gears. Also, occasionally when accelerating, the car starts sputtering and chugging like it is struggling for power…this usually happens on the freeway around 50-60mph, and seems to especially happen around 1,500 RPMs. Once I'm up to full speed in a certain gear, it runs fine.

I called the service manager at the dealership and expressed my concern. I took the car back to the dealer, and the service manager said he would oversee the repair. After 4 days, they said that nobody there was able to reproduce the problem. Upon suggestions on this forum, I had them check several things: Checked for software updates for transmission and ECM – all up to date. Suggested checking the intake oil control valve – not sure if they checked it. They checked the wiring. The transmission is operating normally, no misfires or stored problem codes. They checked the throttle body and found that it was a bit dirty – they cleaned it and put injector cleaner through the system. This did not resolve the problem.

My HHR is still experiencing the same issues, and now has started emitting a burning smell after driving long enough for the car to warm up (especially noticed after 30-45 minutes).

The service tech at the dealership was very condescending and I was just treated like I am complaining about nothing. I am a female, so I might have gotten the shrug-off since women obviously don’t know anything about cars…

There is another Chevy dealership in town where I can take the car, but I’m just wondering if ANYBODY on here might have any ideas of where to start. I am under a pre-owned warranty only for the next 2,000 miles, so I really want to get the car running well before that. I am beyond frustrated with this, and would appreciate any ideas you all might have…
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

First off, Welcome..

It sounds like you have a crap dealership that you have been dealing with.. Me personally, I would seek out the other dealership and have them give it a go. If it still persists after a new dealership has given it a shot, then I would pursue other avenues.. Think of it as getting yourself a little extra time to find things to try and suggest to them.

I do think that because you are a woman you got the "she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about" but make sure that you are firm with them, and tell them its a persistent problem and you want it done right..

I get the same type of treatment from time to time because I am only 23 years old.. But I know something of good business, and how to treat the customer and get things done..
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Call the Customer Service telephone number in the rear of the Owners Manual. You need to establish a complaint because of your increasing mileage and diminishing warranty. You may be able to eliminate a future cost to you....especially if the dealer is "jacking" you around.

Tell them your story and ask the Rep. to "escalate" your complaint.

Evan....if you read this, it's your turn. Prime example of a Customer Service concern.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. I called the Chevy customer assistance line this afternoon. They are going to contact the other dealer in town to coordinate the repair and escalate the issue as necessary.

Hopefully with their help I can get some movement on this. The reason I bought certified pre-owned was so that I didn't have to worry about having reliable transportation...after this past month, I'm starting to lose faith! Totally sucks, cause I have LOVED owning this HHR up until recently...

I'll post back when I have an update.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Founding Member

LuckyladySD, I think you have a wire or connector problem at either the intake or exhaust solenoid harness. This would explain the intermittent nature of the condition.

Your problem could be the camshaft actuator itself, but I don't see that as being intermittent.

Another cause of repeated failure in this system is dirty/sludged up oil, but they would have told you that if that condition was present, so that is probably not the answer.

Good luck with the new dealer. Hope this turns out well for you. And again welcome to the forum.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM

LuckyLadySD,

Please keep me updated on the situation!

Thank you,

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM

You might want to check your exhaust system for the burning smell. I noticed that the exhaust (CGS) on my HHR SS was getting hot and burning the bumper around the exhaust tip and plastic molding next to the muffler. I guess it needs plenty of clearance since it gets so hot.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

LUCKYLADY - to clarify: you mentioned intake cam position sensor - did you actually mean intake cam solenoid?

The P0010/11 codes refers to the INTAKE solenoid
& P0013/14 refers to the EXHAUST solenoid

The GM part numbers are as follows for the camshaft position actuator solenoids:

-------- Original-----Updated a month or two ago
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784
Intake 12628347 = 12646783

See if you can clarify with the dealer, that it was the Intake solenoid that was replaced - it might help if it isn't a harness issue like ChevyMgr mentioned.

Last edited by whopper; 04-23-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo(s)
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM

hhr 2009

Hi, My name is Robert.
I have been having the same problem with MY HHR, replaced all mentioned with no avail. Mine has 360000 miles. Really need help...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Sandman3316
Hi, My name is Robert.
I have been having the same problem with MY HHR, replaced all mentioned with no avail. Mine has 360000 miles. Really need help...
Please elaborate. Like you are starting from the beginning. Then somebody will move the post into a new thread.

Or you can just start your own New Thread with a subject of your own choosing in a forum are of your own choosing.

Quick Reply: Reocurring HHR Issues - Cam Sensor, Rough Idle, Shifting/Power Issues, Burning Smell