Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   reversed polarity, alternator not charging (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/reversed-polarity-alternator-not-charging-48862/)

cannuck 12-13-2013 12:37 AM

reversed polarity, alternator not charging *SOLVED*

i read the post with same issue, post had no resolution.

anyone know of the fix. everything works. cant find a fuse that relates to the alternator and battery. did blow the radio and amp fuse.

should be simple fix, where to look

Lucky 12-13-2013 12:40 AM

Have you replaced the alternator or have it tested?

843de 12-13-2013 01:08 AM

You undoubtedly blew the diodes in the alternator, they rectify the AC voltage into DC current for the vehicle's electrical system, plus they also provide voltage regulation.

Hooking up the battery backwards almost always takes out the diode pack in the alternator, necessitating the alternator's replacement or rebuilding.

whopper 12-13-2013 01:09 AM

agreed 843de -

Cannuck - Please clarify: "reversed polarity" of what? Battery? alternator? ? Never mind - I found your other posting on the other thread - it was the battery that was hooked up backwards.

Well, my advice is the same as to the op in the other thread - take it to a shop that is well versed in electric repairs. As in the other thread, it is way to complex to diagnose over the internet. You could have 1 problem, but then again you could have 10 items that need repairs. In attempting to resolve it here or by yourself you risk further damage/expense.

I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but to really drive home the fact that it really needs to be addressed hands-on by a professional - ......if one cannot connect a battery correctly (pos to pos, and neg to neg), they really should not be attempting repairs like this either here on a forum, or by themselves. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but it really isn't meant to be.

843de 12-13-2013 01:21 AM

I took a logical "leap" and guessed that the battery was hooked up backwards(due to the referenced thread being about a battery installed incorrectly), while possible to hook the alternator up backwards, it would be fairly obvious that things were wrong.

They don't give you much slack on the alternator wiring to get things crossed up.

donbrew 12-13-2013 07:18 AM

I have no idea how one could possible plug the alternator in backwards. It is a polarized plug.

Of course, if we could get complete sentences........

Oldblue 12-13-2013 09:40 AM

Donbrew, Lucky, whopper and 843de have the right idea, you could spend way more with a trail by fire (pun intended) approach to resolve your issues with the electrical system. a good well known auto electric shop or dealership would be your best investment

cannuck 12-13-2013 11:12 AM

battery hooked up wrong . something got toasted. will check alternator to see if its putting out. funny how the car can run off just the battery or just the alternator.

VinceP 12-13-2013 11:22 AM

I did this when I was 16 waaaay back in 1976. Alterator was smoked. Luckily back then we did not have all of the computers and control modules we have now.

Hopefully it will just be the alternator and nothing more serious.

Good luck.

cannuck 12-13-2013 11:24 AM

was hoping someone had same issue that would give input