Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Seized motor/Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Seized motor/Motor swap

Just picked up a 2008 HHR SS form my sister in law with a sized motor from running with no oil. Only $300

I believe that the motor is a 2.0 but not sure. Looking for a used motor.

When I get a used motor do I have to get one that has the turbo or can I just use the turbo that is on the sized motor and swap it? If the turbo on the sized motor is no good can I put a non turbo motor in and not add the turbo?

Any and all help will get greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kubee's
Just picked up a 2008 HHR SS form my sister in law with a sized motor from running with no oil. Only $300

I believe that the motor is a 2.0 but not sure. Looking for a used motor.

When I get a used motor do I have to get one that has the turbo or can I just use the turbo that is on the sized motor and swap it? If the turbo on the sized motor is no good can I put a non turbo motor in and not add the turbo?

Any and all help will get greatly appreciated. Thanks
You mean seized.... Right? If so, generally the Accessories and turbo could still be usable depending on there condition before the motor seized
Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Hi Kubee, to the forums!!

First, if the engine is seized from running with no oil, then the turbo is probably shot also. The turbo is lubricated with the engine oil also.

Yes, you should look for another 2.0 motor with the turbo. I don't imagine the computers would know what to do with anything else.

You should check with an auto salvage yard for which vehicles would be a good donor, they have interchange information.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

2.0 liter turbo.
You're going to need the same turbo engine to replace it with. The SS is a performance built factory car. All of the wiring,computers, etc. are specific for the SS. Can't just put a N/A engine in there.
Also, the entire suspension on the SS is specific to the car. If you need any parts in that regards you have to get SS specific parts.

As our knowledgeable mod stated above, the turbo is most likely shot also.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Yes I mean seized.
Is there a easy way to test the turbo?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kubee's
Yes I mean seized.
Is there a easy way to test the turbo?
For a backyard mechanic ? Not really. About all you can do is take off the turbo and see if the impeller turns freely and has no play in the bearings.
If it was run out of oil as you stated, there is probably damage to the turbo. Even if it isn't completely locked up, it probably doesn't have much life left in it.

If you're going to get a used replacement engine, just get one with the turbo already on it.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, most have used an LDK engine to swap into the LNF SS. There are many threads about that on this site.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...ted-ldk-57115/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...k-build-56137/

Just so you have an idea what your in for!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, most have used an LDK engine to swap into the LNF SS. There are many threads about that on this site.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...ted-ldk-57115/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...k-build-56137/

Just so you have an idea what your in for!
yes and trust me this has been more then a slap to the forehead but I was thinking that 07 motor didn't have a ground on the top head like the 06 motor so I will put one on. And. Try I'm a diesel mechanic never messed with a front wheel drive befor but it wasn't hard to do just so many story's on what I need to do called dealer shop near me and they said they can't help they had no idea

wanna thank you guys for your input
Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Technical Moderator

Fortunately for the OP 2.0L are all compatible. An entirely different story from yours. If you had got the correct engine I doubt you would be having a problem except for having to re learn the crankshaft sensor.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Looks like you got a heck of a fixer-upper. Couple grand for a low mile engine and you're golden!

Quick Reply: Seized motor/Motor swap