Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rear wiper sagging

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM

rear wiper sagging

I have searched, and I haven't found this answer yet. Everything I found is replacing the blade or removing the rear wiper altogether.

The rear wiper on my 06 is sagging, like the motor is broke or something.
I don't want to cap it, I can't afford to have it removed and welded over then painted. I don't know what is wrong, if a screw has came loose, or if the motor is totally shot (nothing happens when I push the button).

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Can you hear the motor engage (for lack of a better word) when you hit the button? I believe some vehicles have a "break away" feature to prevent motor stress if the arm assembly should become stuck. I had this problem with my Saturn...if the wipers were frozen to the window and I didn't break them loose (which I should've) and then I hit the wipers, it would break the nut loose and the motor would free spin. It was quite the pain to remove the cowl and realign the wipers, but I got pretty good at it after a couple time (after which I started to flip the wipers up).
If the motor doesn't engage, then you might have an electrical problem. If it's saggin, then I would guess that the screw/nut/whatever that is holding the arm on the actually spinning assembly has become loose. Just my .02 from previous experience on another car. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, WELCOME to the site :)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
Can you hear the motor engage (for lack of a better word) when you hit the button? I believe some vehicles have a "break away" feature to prevent motor stress if the arm assembly should become stuck. I had this problem with my Saturn...if the wipers were frozen to the window and I didn't break them loose (which I should've) and then I hit the wipers, it would break the nut loose and the motor would free spin. It was quite the pain to remove the cowl and realign the wipers, but I got pretty good at it after a couple time (after which I started to flip the wipers up).
If the motor doesn't engage, then you might have an electrical problem. If it's saggin, then I would guess that the screw/nut/whatever that is holding the arm on the actually spinning assembly has become loose. Just my .02 from previous experience on another car. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, WELCOME to the site :)
I'll check - thank you.

Been around a while, but I tend to lurk.
I like to customize my vehicles, but this one is my wife's so she won't let me touch it other than to fix stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM

You have to tell your wife to lift the wiper off the glass if it's cold out. Same for the windshield, move them a little with an ice scraper to make sure they aren't frozen down.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM

it ain't frozen - its hanging about 5 inches below the window.
somethings loose or broke
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Oh, I didn't know it was saggin that much...that sounds broke.