Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

temp. gauge stops working

Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MadeInDetroit
I replaced my temp sensor trying to solve the problem as well. Oddly enough, the Check Engine Light came back on AFTER I PASSED the GA emissions test. I checked the code with my own auto scanner and sure enough it was the P128 returning. So I got to thinking. What if I erase that code again. BAM! Problem solved until I turned on my A/C defroster, then its back on again. Erased the code. Back off again. Seems like EMC code malfunctioning too me.
Most likely your thermostat is bad.
You did post up in a 5 year old thread. There are many newer threads that usually point to the thermostat as being the source of a P0128 code.

Since you didn't post the year or mileage of your HHR, I'll just guess that maybe your thermostat has died from age.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

x2 on the thermostat.

How-to article on replacing it yourself: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...l-p0128-24493/
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Technical Moderator

I wonder what would pop up with SEARCH of "p0128"?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Administrator

X4 for the T stat, and use the original GM stat, others open different temps and times and cause the code later in about a month.
This has been noted in many a thread!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 PM

same issue but

im having the same issue with my temo gage not working sometimes. but my ac is fine. i ruled out thermostat bc my ac is works. now im on the sensor. any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Isaiah Mahood
im having the same issue with my temo gage not working sometimes. but my ac is fine. i ruled out thermostat bc my ac is works. now im on the sensor. any thoughts?
That does not necessarily rule out the t-stat, but it is one or the other. When the temp gauge is reading --- get the codes read, there will most likely be a p0128 pending code. The AC usually stops working when the code turns to current; that means that the condition has existed on more than 1 cycle and illuminates the CEL.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Administrator

You have a 2008, so,
has the thermostat ever been changed?
has the Dexcool ever been drained and refilled with fresh 50/50 Dexcool?
if the sensor malfunctioned you would get a CEL and code.

If your answers are no, then get a new AC Delco 131-158 thermostat and Dexcool, it’s a fairly easy job and it’s the right time of the year for it!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM

What’s this look like

Originally Posted by cj krause
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too

B- what’s this look like so I can find it?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Administrator

CJ passed away a few years ago, he was discussing the ambient air temp sensor for the outside air.
the temperature sensor for the coolant lives in the thermostat housing
Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 AM

But that’s saying a connection in the passenger fender like a wire. Would that be the only thing there that I look for? I can’t find it on google anywhere. Or a picture of what I’m supposed to look for. My temperature sending unit or sensor has been replaced as well as my thermostat. And the thermostat was tested before hand. But I’m still not getting a reading. So his response of pull the fender cover off and check for a loose connection is my next step I just don’t know what I’m looking for

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temp. gauge stops working