Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Temp gauges flat lined (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/temp-gauges-flat-lined-11399/)

warrenstilwell 07-13-2009 02:47 PM

Analog Temp Gage Flat and engie coolant reading ---F

Hi all
I seem to have a similar problem. This happened 2x's in the last 20000 miles.
Driving along at highway speeds and I look down to check the gages and I fing the analog temp gage (likely running through the computer) falls flat - no reading what-so-ever.

Since it was warm out, I was using the AC. I also noticing it was blowing warm air.

Later that evening, while driving home I noticed the analog temp gage working and the temp read 189F. The AC also worked... hmmm...

What's more interesting is: no service or engine lights.

Sounds like an electrical issue to me? Any ideas? Temp sending unit?

Thanks!
Warren

GDZHHR 07-13-2009 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by warrenstilwell (Post 396926)
Hi all
I seem to have a similar problem. This happened 2x's in the last 20000 miles.
Driving along at highway speeds and I look down to check the gages and I fing the analog temp gage (likely running through the computer) falls flat - no reading what-so-ever.

Since it was warm out, I was using the AC. I also noticing it was blowing warm air.

Later that evening, while driving home I noticed the analog temp gage working and the temp read 189F. The AC also worked... hmmm...

What's more interesting is: no service or engine lights.

Sounds like an electrical issue to me? Any ideas? Temp sending unit?

Thanks!
Warren

Most people have had the issue traced to a faulty thermostat. Mine did the same as you are describibg and that's what the fix was.

hurst2001 08-19-2015 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR (Post 396933)
Most people have had the issue traced to a faulty thermostat. Mine did the same as you are describibg and that's what the fix was.

Just ran in to same problem just like to know if there is a thermostat that are made the same as the gm one with out the rubber that cause the problem.. Like any other brand that cost less .. Thanks

donbrew 08-19-2015 06:03 AM

The GM part is "competitively" priced.

Oldblue 08-19-2015 07:30 AM

GM part is only expensive at the dealership not so much online
ZZP for instance has them for $14.99

hurst2001 08-19-2015 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 785821)
GM part is only expensive at the dealership not so much online
ZZP for instance has them for $14.99

Thanks old blue .. I seen go for like 34$ just crazy for a stat.. What is the link for zzp thanksACDelco 12T103D Professional 180 Degrees Engine Coolant Thermostat with Gasket is this the one?

donbrew 08-19-2015 05:32 PM

Stants go for $30ish.

Oldblue 08-19-2015 08:10 PM

Yup that's it $14.99

MikeRuth 08-22-2015 06:42 PM

Pumpkin head as a shade tree Mechanic no reason on an HHR that you can't change out the thermostat in 30 minutes.

Pick one up at a local supply or dealer and get r done :)

At least that way you are out less than $30.00 buck and you know you have a good T-Stat in there. then if this continues chase down a sensor or bad connection.

Just an FYI I recently had the interior lights start turning on by themselves with all doors closed!!! Checked all the door switches etc, and nada, as someone mentioned previously, open that fuse/relay box under the hood and reseat every dang relay, fuse etc in there. After doing that I had no further problems.
And 90% of them moved! as in they were not fully seated.

whopper 08-23-2015 12:25 AM

Ahhh, Punkin Heads post was from 2007 - 8 years ago.