Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp guage quit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Temp guage quit

Like the title says, Temp guage quit yesterday AM. I checked the DIC and had --- on it. Came back in the house and got on the computer, this site, did the search and the consensus was a bad thermostat. Drove to AZone got the code P0128 which pretty much confirms diagnosis. "Engine not achieving operating temp thermostat leaking or stuck open", a lot better than stuck closed. Monday to the Dealer as it is covered by my Warranty. Not going to try and do it myself as I have had very bad luck with breaking goosenecks in the past on Chevrolets plus I don't have the necessary tools.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM

update the post when done if you would please! I am not tech savy but like to hear what and how things get fixed,so I know a little more when I drop my car off! Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam
Like the title says, Temp guage quit yesterday AM. I checked the DIC and had --- on it. Came back in the house and got on the computer, this site, did the search and the consensus was a bad thermostat. Drove to AZone got the code P0128 which pretty much confirms diagnosis. "Engine not achieving operating temp thermostat leaking or stuck open", a lot better than stuck closed. Monday to the Dealer as it is covered by my Warranty. Not going to try and do it myself as I have had very bad luck with breaking goosenecks in the past on Chevrolets plus I don't have the necessary tools.
Hey there 08LaRam,

Sorry to hear about your temp gauge. I know you mentioned you were not planning on doing the work yourself. Were you planning on taking it into one of our dealerships to have the work completed? Let me know if you need any assistance locating a dealer or setting up an appointment.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hey there 08LaRam,

Sorry to hear about your temp gauge. I know you mentioned you were not planning on doing the work yourself. Were you planning on taking it into one of our dealerships to have the work completed? Let me know if you need any assistance locating a dealer or setting up an appointment.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks. I'll let you know when I plan to take it in to the dealer. I have a full work schedule this coming week so I may have to wait until the following week. I appreciate the assistance.
Allen
Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Hi Allen,

You're very welcome! I look forward to hearing from you when your schedule calms down.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Well I went to the Chevy dealer Friday afternoon and I could not get it done without leaving it over night as they said they might not be able to get to it in time for it to be completed by closing time. So I made an appointment for Saturday morning at 8:00. When I drove away from the Dealer my Temp guage was working! I checked and the DIC Coolant Temp was working too! Come Saturday AM the check engine light was off and the gauges were still working. Not wanting to take a chance that the Thermostat might stick again and cause other problems I went ahead and took it in to the Dealer and had the thermostat changed. The good news is that my PowerTrain Warranty is still in effect so there was NO CHARGE. All good now.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

So. Did you ask them if you could look at the old T-stat ?
I just wonder if it was another case of the rubber gasket coming loose.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
So. Did you ask them if you could look at the old T-stat ?
I just wonder if it was another case of the rubber gasket coming loose.
No, didn't think about asking. Just happy it was fixed and glad to be on my way .
Old 12-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Just went through the same thing,one day it works..next not. Went to my local dealer and they told me they wanted $90.00 just to diagnose it,even tho it's still under warranty. Then if it's my thermostat...we would talk about the $90.00. What kind of BS is this? Bought a new one and changed it my self. Didn't like the whole attitude from my dealer. Works fine now.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

08LaRam,

Glad to hear they were able to take care of you and swap it out under warranty! Let us know if anything changes.

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care