Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 PM

temperature sensor

had to have clutch assembly replaced on my 2008 HHR. after I got the car I went 2 job #2, upon leaving when I started car the check engine light came on.

today I take back to dealership they advised did diagnostics and the problem was the temperature sensor. advised fan running but sensor did not know it was running. advised replaced sensor, mechanic thought this was the problem but not sure. took car home shut it off and started and check engine light came back on. took back to dealer and now I have to set up appointment to do another diagnostic. should be ok to drive unless starts getting overheated. brought car home set with car running and within 5 minutes temperature gauge was almost in the red.

if they did diagnostic wouldn't that advise what the problem was? I'm concerned or curious if they actually did a diagnostic on car since mechanic not sure what the problem was but changed the sensor.

the clutch issue was the first problem I've had with this vehicle and all of a sudden I now have a possible more expensive problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

What was the code that was downloaded? Without the code it's impossible to offer any suggestions.

What clutch assembly - for the transmission or the air conditioning?

Does the fan on the radiator come on at all? What temperature did the digital readout display (not the analog one - the one in the DIC)?

Diagnostics may not necessary pinpoint the exact failed component - sounds like the diagnostics led to a small list of possible items.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 PM

I was not given the code.

the clutch assembly was for the transmission, assembly welds broke. when replacing clutch assembly the did 27 point inspection. one item in that inspection was cooling system. wouldn't that indicate sensor bad or problem with radiator and/or fan?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by djs31763
I was not given the code.

the clutch assembly was for the transmission, assembly welds broke. when replacing clutch assembly the did 27 point inspection. one item in that inspection was cooling system. wouldn't that indicate sensor bad or problem with radiator and/or fan?
Uh. No. Just means they did a visual of the cooling system when doing a 27 point inspection.

If you weren't given the code, kind of hard to offer an opinion. Could be one or more of a dozen possibilities.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Technical Moderator

Find a mechanic or shop that can speak the same language that you speak.

The story is so lacking in detail that I find it hard to believe.

You could just go to Advance/Zone/O'reilly and have the codes read for free while you stand there. Don't listen to anything they say except the Pxxxx code then post it up here or put it into Google.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Took to advance auto their diagnostic indicated code was P0480 cooling fan control circuit malfunction. Any idea what my worst case scenario would be from a cost standpoint?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Is there any way this could be associated with the transmission clutch assembly that dealership just replaced, like not plugging something in or hooking something back up?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a list of things that may be related to the P0480 code:
- Faulty fan control relay
- Fan control relay harness is open or shorted
- Fan control relay circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty cooling fan 1
- Fan cooling fan harness is open or shorted
- Fan cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: P0480 Chevrolet Cooling Fan Relay Control Circuit OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

and yes, it could well be related to the work that was done on the vehicle.

tip for you: when people respond with questions to clarify the situation, and to try and help you out, please provide an answer. Ie: does the radiator fan come on at all? ) Or more specifically - does the fan come on when it is sitting there and the temp gauge shows it is near over-temp) - and what does the digital temp readout say?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:22 PM

I appreciate your help. obviously I'm clueless when it comes to auto repairs. I was looking at another site and they suggested to check the fuses. I wasn't able to tell if fuse bad or not but when I opened the hood I found a bungee cord. I also noticed at the bottom of the radiator it looks like it's not together like it should be. I've attached photos hopefully you can see them.

thanks again for your help. this will come in handy when i get repair estimate.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, you best just take it to a shop. I found your pics in your gallery - but can't see any great details there.

I can't help any more - sorry to be blunt, but if you can't respond to the questions being asked to help diagnose your problem, there isn't much we can do. Helping diagnose over the internet is hard enough with all the info available.

I'm out of this one. Just take it back to the shop that did the initial repairs and see what they can do for you.

Last edited by whopper; 06-22-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added suggestion about taking it back to the shop

Quick Reply: temperature sensor