Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Time to get the hands dirty.... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/time-get-hands-dirty-34540/)

solman98 03-14-2011 12:39 PM

Time to get the hands dirty....

I'm going to start getting the things together for some front end work. I'm going to pull off the front wheels and check everything over first before just start ordering.

Front end links, I'm guessing everyone is referring to the links between the strut and the stablizer bar? Moog seems to be what everyone is recommending, online or are they available at part stores? Links?

I remember reading someplace of another bushing was being recommended to be replaced, but can't remember which one seemed to be the problem one.

I think I'll end up going with the Sens-a-trac loaded ones. Diagram I have seems to only show the 3 upper tower bolts and the two lower ones. Any thing else? Advance does not seem to have any in stock..... Where else have people found these?

How high do I need to get the rear up to get those shocks out? Obviously, no lift at home....:lol: Do they make a sens-a-trac for the rear? I'd prefer to have the same front/rear.

I'm also going to check out the front bearings, what size is the axle shaft nut?

solman98 03-14-2011 12:45 PM

Hell, send me links to find this stuff, :roflol: I know I've seen prices here better than what I'm finding.

jay loukakis 03-14-2011 07:05 PM

parts is parts.

Moog links part # K750012$22.99 plus shipping of $9.32, from Rock Auto, bushings from www.energysuspensionparts.com my 2006 front bar is 1in, 25mm, part number 9.5161 greaseable poly bushings order Gty as thy come in a pair $15.99 shipping $4.88 they made a big diffrence on my HHR, good luck.:twothumbs:

Mrs. DLVRNIT 03-14-2011 07:11 PM

You only need to get the rear wheels off the ground to remove the rear wheels and shocks to install the new ones :wink:!

Best-O-Luck :thumb:,

87silver 03-14-2011 07:26 PM

Solman, what kind of mileage are you talking with your HHR? Just comparing notes for everyone as to when to figure on doing front end maintenance.

jay loukakis 03-14-2011 09:51 PM

front end replacement of parts.

I replaced the links at 48,000 bushings at about 49,000 just changed the rear shocks with the KYB 49,458 miles last week. maybe the struts next month?:propeller:

sleeper 03-14-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 544936)

I remember reading someplace of another bushing was being recommended to be replaced, but can't remember which one seemed to be the problem one. ?

Front sway bar bushings (2).. :thumb:

solman98 03-15-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver (Post 545067)
Solman, what kind of mileage are you talking with your HHR? Just comparing notes for everyone as to when to figure on doing front end maintenance.

I"m just about to roll 61K. Not sure what it all needs, but it's getting rough going over uneven sections of road, especially if there is some sort of incline tied in with it. Something is starting to get a little worn, just gotta get in there and see what it is. I lifted up the strut boot a while back and it had been leaking some. I've got to do an oil change soon, so that will give me a chance to look at all the bushings good to see what is worn looking. What I can't see then, I'll pull the wheel.

Another thing I've noticed recently is I'm getting a slight vibration while braking, this is not brakes I can tell. But it also make a plastic rattling sound under the dash. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but not the brake pedal.

I'm hopeing my bearings are good, those are over $200 each for non ABS. :wtf:

pitbull76 03-15-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 545225)
. But it also make a plastic rattling sound under the dash. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but not the brake pedal.

I'm hopeing my bearings are good, those are over $200 each for non ABS. :wtf:

Does it make the rattling sound in the dash right behind the steering wheel? Does it do it only during braking or at other times? It sure sounds an awful lot like the noise my 06 did when the steering column went bad. It made the noise anytime it went over certain types of bumps at slower speeds

solman98 03-15-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76 (Post 545244)
Does it make the rattling sound in the dash right behind the steering wheel? Does it do it only during braking or at other times? It sure sounds an awful lot like the noise my 06 did when the steering column went bad. It made the noise anytime it went over certain types of bumps at slower speeds

Only while braking. If I had to pinpoint the sound, it's to the left of center under the dash. I though about the steering column.

Ride is just getting rough over any bump in the road, but still quiet.