Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

timing chain and balance shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 PM

timing chain and balance shaft

so Im getting ready to do this to the HHR, when I start it every day lately (and this is also most likely related to my wildly fluctuating temps) it sounds like something is loose under the timing cover. I had my mechanic over today finishing up repairs on my mp5 and asked him to take a listen/look. as soon as I cranked it up and he heard the sound it was making, he said it is definitely something to do with timing, most likely the guide, and said to be safe, I should get a full timing kit. after doing some searching, I read that I also should do the balance shaft and since that part of the engine is apart, might as well do the waterpump.
anyways, this is the kit Im looking to get, let me know if anyone has had any experience with this kit, if its any good, and if not, recommendations for a better one.
thanks for your time reading this

https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Technical Moderator

Personally, I would get the water pump separately. There are several different designs; from exactly like the one from the factory to a plastic blade impeller. I would like to see what I am getting first.

I wouldn't bother with the balance chain unless there is some wear on it. Not the sprockets anyway.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Personally, I would get the water pump separately. There are several different designs; from exactly like the one from the factory to a plastic blade impeller. I would like to see what I am getting first.

I wouldn't bother with the balance chain unless there is some wear on it. Not the sprockets anyway.
I did read about the differences in WP's after I posted this, so I asked them what model and style the pump that comes with the kit is, just waiting for a reply.
on several different posts I read about the timing chain, everyone said to do the balance chain at the same time.
Im going to go ahead, start completely fresh and then I have peace of mind and wont have to bother with it again for some time.

that said, does the kit actually look decent or are there other, better, options is mostly of concern for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM

I am an idiot...
when I entered vehicle details, I specified I had a 2.2L engine, but it still gave me this kit for a 2.4L engine :/
sorry for the post, Ill make sure I read more details before posting links. guess I have too much trust in the system these days

so I guess the same question for this kit:
https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...1817-11-A.html

but Im going to do as donbrew stated and get waterpump separately.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by d0sitmatr
I am an idiot...
when I entered vehicle details, I specified I had a 2.2L engine, but it still gave me this kit for a 2.4L engine :/
sorry for the post, Ill make sure I read more details before posting links. guess I have too much trust in the system these days

so I guess the same question for this kit:
https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...1817-11-A.html

but Im going to do as donbrew stated and get waterpump separately.
thats a good price for the kit but your going to need crankshaft bolt and cam sprockets bolts too they are torque to yield and you can’t reused the old ones .. and timing cover gasket ..as far as water pumps check out gmb...
Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
thats a good price for the kit but your going to need crankshaft bolt and cam sprockets bolts too they are torque to yield and you can’t reused the old ones .. and timing cover gasket ..as far as water pumps check out gmb...
good advice, I hadnt considered that.
Ill look at the GMB WP, thank you for the advice, I also heard back from the company and they did say the WP wouldnt work, but the rest of the kit will, not sure about that.... can anyone confirm the kit would work for both a 2.2 and 2.4 engine ?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator

? They have the same WP? Go figure.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Technical Moderator

I am under the impression that all of the VVT kits are the same, the difference would be between a 2006-2008 2.2L and any 2.4L (because the cam sprockets are different, maybe that's wrong). Water pumps are the same.

As to the pumps; I don't know that there are performance differences. I just prefer a steel closed channel impeller to an open impeller. No science to back it up.

I don't like the idea of a plastic impeller on a steel shaft.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I am under the impression that all of the VVT kits are the same, the difference would be between a 2006-2008 2.2L and any 2.4L (because the cam sprockets are different, maybe that's wrong). Water pumps are the same.

As to the pumps; I don't know that there are performance differences. I just prefer a steel closed channel impeller to an open impeller. No science to back it up.

I don't like the idea of a plastic impeller on a steel shaft.
I agree with you on that.
my panel is an 08 2.2, so if there is a difference that would be why they told me it wouldnt work.
Im pretty much set on the kit in the second link, just trying to find the WP. got busy with work so I havent had much chance to search, but hoping to do so later this evening.
thanks for the replies.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM

With the 2.4, you probably won't be replacing the cam sprockets (phasers).

Quick Reply: timing chain and balance shaft