Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

09 2.4L eps failing, heat sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM

09 2.4L eps failing, heat sensitive

As mentioned above, We purchased a GM certified 09 2.4L HHR about two years ago.. Probably the last time I do that in my life. The experiance has been horrible all the way around. (Coming from a life long Chevy Guy.)

a few days ago as the temperatures started climbing, the power steering started failing. It chimes/displays the power steering fail message on the DIC. I made the discovery, as in the mornings when its still cool 60-70 degrees, it drives 30+ miles with no problem. In the evenings it makes the same trek/route, however the temps are usually 80+, and within 2-15 minutes the power steering cuts out.

Pull over, restart car, works fine for another 2-15 minutes. sometimes setting the a/c to full blast, and getting the car to freezing before going anywhere allows it to work for a majority of its 30-45min trip.

I've changed both fuses, just to be on the safe side. I've never jumped started the car, or done anything else to short the fuse/motor / read the manual and know how to correctly do that.

I've read quite a bit on this forum, which I must say, you guys rock. Great source of information here. I suspect like many other folks have discovered, it's the eps motor that needs changed. However, while looking at it, I have a gut feeling someone else may have already changed the motor.. bolts are dinged, etc.. doesn't feel factory.

None of the #'s I see on the motor corrispond to the 4 'new' part #'s posted elsewhere on this forum, but then I can't seem to match them up with any resource to know if its original or not.

Can someone clue me in? I am willing to go buy a motor and replace it myself (thanks again to the information on this forum), if it appears this is the original motor. If it appears to be a replacement / one of the new motors, I figured I'd spend the extra $200 the dealership wants to muck with it (not fix).

One label says Denso 995-10800 and 160800-0262
The other Jtekt SPW51-3L

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out soon, as how things usually goes, my disabled fiancee is supposed to be driving this car 500miles this coming saturday.

Any information would be great. So far the dealerships locally haven't been much help, specifically the one we purchased the car for, which wouldn't even tell us if it was covered under any of the warranties, without coming in and paying the service fee for them to look at it and confirm our suspicions.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM

If your eps motor does NOT match part numbers of any of the 4 that I have listed and I think you found then you have an old one and need o replace it with one of the 4. Any one of the 4 will work and your local dealer should have them in stock. Just write down all 4 numbers or print it out and bring that with you to verify the new one. It should only take you 20 minutes to swap it out and you will be all good.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Deceased

to the forum sn3ak!

Pretty good advice from 07azhhr, the current GM PN for the assist motor is 19257875, good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 AM

Thanks, I was correct. It was the motor. Surprisingly in a wild twist, while looking for a non remanufactured motor that was in stock I ran across a dealership in Tracy (I'm in Cali) that requested my vin before looking up the part (for what reason I still don't know).

I'm amazed to report, they looked at the warranty on the car, and even though 5+ other dealerships said it wasn't covered / in warranty / etc, they said it was. Understanding my hesitation, they double, and even triple checked, and with short notice, and an hour trip, I got a free (but reman) motor, install, they even took care of the ignition recall (that my dealer said was repaired!!!!!!), and washed the car before returning it to me!

Talk about service! I'll be talking about these guys to anyone who will listen. They gave us their own warranty on the part in addition to our gm warranty, and told my fiancee who took it in, that if I wasn't happy that the motor was a reman, they would order a new one and install it for free.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Now that is great to hear it all worked out for you.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Deceased

Cool! What's the name of the dealer, some other Cali members might want to start using them for service.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM

That is great to hear. That is how the dealership I worked for was and why I will always have high respect for them.

Businesses are in business to make money and for service departments its all about repairing vehicles. While warranty work may not bring in as much profit as non warranty work it still brings in profit and can earn you a return customer. A returning customer means future profits so it is a win win.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by sn3ak
Thanks, I was correct. It was the motor. Surprisingly in a wild twist, while looking for a non remanufactured motor that was in stock I ran across a dealership in Tracy (I'm in Cali) that requested my vin before looking up the part (for what reason I still don't know).

I'm amazed to report, they looked at the warranty on the car, and even though 5+ other dealerships said it wasn't covered / in warranty / etc, they said it was. Understanding my hesitation, they double, and even triple checked, and with short notice, and an hour trip, I got a free (but reman) motor, install, they even took care of the ignition recall (that my dealer said was repaired!!!!!!), and washed the car before returning it to me!

Talk about service! I'll be talking about these guys to anyone who will listen. They gave us their own warranty on the part in addition to our gm warranty, and told my fiancee who took it in, that if I wasn't happy that the motor was a reman, they would order a new one and install it for free.
Thank you for sharing your awesome experience. Would you like me to complete a dealership compliment on your behalf?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 AM

I appologize for the lateness of this response (and opening an older thread again)

The Dealership is Tracy Chevrolet
3400 Auto Plaza Way
Tracy, CA 95304
www.tracychevrolet.com
209-835-4500

And I've contacted Michelle off forum to move forward with the compliment

and to report, everything is still working well, and the dealership gave us a follow up call a week or so after to verify everything was well. Definitely a job well done.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM

If I ever need a dealer I think Id drive the 350 miles as the dealer in Hemet I would not even let them wash my HHR.