Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Tpm (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/tpm-61133/)

guppy 12-07-2018 05:37 PM

Tpm

The 2009 shows the LF --- (three dashes). does this mean that the TPM sensor in that wheel has failed and needs changed or do I need to relearn them?

The 2008 leaks air from the LR, took it to the tire shop today and he could not find a leak and suggested replacing the tire valve stem, reusing the original TPM. I watched him the entire time. After we got three blocks down the road, the SVC tire monitor light comes on. The RF shows ---. I turn the car off and restart it and it now reads 37psi. What happened here?

Greybeard999 12-07-2018 05:55 PM

Batteries in the sensors have a life expectancy...

Oldblue 12-07-2018 06:19 PM

The tpms batteries only last 8 to 10 years, depending on temperatures and such.

sleeper 12-07-2018 09:30 PM

Yep, & mine is at that point. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.... :lol:

Oldblue 12-07-2018 10:06 PM

RockAuto, 5% discount.
I just don’t understand people these days, my nephew just got a 2015 Dodge , the TPMS light was on , I told him to get that fixed as it is a safety feature, he put a piece of tape over the light!
He ordered winter rims and tires , refused to install the sensors, guess who called tonight , RR is almost flat! Really you delete the sensors and then don’t look at your tires , what ever happened to a walk around, before you get in the drivers seat!

sleeper 12-07-2018 10:36 PM

Different world these days, can't tell the young'uns anything. And how many can drive a stick shift ?

guppy 12-20-2018 01:34 PM

So I had another TPM sensor installed in the 2009 White LT. The fob is from ebay. I pulled up the parking break, turn the ignition on, but not starting the engine and hold the lockand unlock on the fob. It would not put the car into relearn mode, the horn never chirped. I programmed two more used fobs that I am prety certain are factory fobs and they now lock and unlock and remote start, but they too will not put the car into TPMS relearn mode (the horn does not chirp). What am I missing here?

donbrew 12-20-2018 02:07 PM

Did they used to? Is this new behavior? Are tire pressures displayed now?

If the fob locks and unlocks the doors, it is sending the right signals to the RCDLR. Even with the 2011 system you have to do the lock+unlock thing.

guppy 12-20-2018 02:09 PM

Quick back ground on this car.
I bought from a friend, he had put radiator stop leak in it and plugged up the heater core and cracked head. I replaced engine and bypassed heater core. 23 son has been driving and abusing it for the past 6 months. He was in a fender bender and he was at fault. I took the car back and am now trying to clean it up so I can sell it. He has been very rough on it.

I noticed that the radio works but no display. Would the display have it's own fuse? Could this be related to the TPMS not going into relearn?

guppy 12-20-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 857623)
Did they used to? Is this new behavior? Are tire pressures displayed now?

If the fob locks and unlocks the doors, it is sending the right signals to the RCDLR. Even with the 2011 system you have to do the lock+unlock thing.

I am 95% certain that I have put this car into relearn a couple years ago with no problems. I own 4 HHR's, so I get mixed up which one got what sometimes. Tire pressures display on DIC, except for the Front Left, it has the three dashes, since I just put a new (used) sensor in it.