Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Traction control light (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/traction-control-light-59324/)

Kingcorrupter 09-01-2017 09:04 AM

Traction control light

So a few days ago while driving on the highway I noticed a metal on metal grinding sound which lasted about 15 seconds. The next day same thing. Today after driving on the highway I noticed the traction control light was on. I made a stop along my route and when I got back in the car and turned it on the light was off. I finished my drive which was local roads and the light did not come on again. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

firemangeorge 09-01-2017 09:21 AM

Metal on metal sound from where ? Did you get out and take a look ?

PS. Year, model and mileage would help.

donbrew 09-01-2017 09:45 AM

Brakes are worn out.

Oldblue 09-01-2017 01:22 PM

Yep it's inspection time for the front brakes! Just did mine real easy with a few hand tools and know how, I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere for that.

Kingcorrupter 09-01-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 829616)
Metal on metal sound from where ? Did you get out and take a look ?

PS. Year, model and mileage would help.

Yea sorry forgot that info. 2011 hhr lt with 105,400 and change miles. I have taxi brakes installed about a year and a half ago which were recommended by my mechanic. I wasn't stepping on the brakes when the noise happened it was kind of random and only happens when I'm on the highway. The light coming on also only happened after driving on the highway.

whopper 09-01-2017 03:48 PM

And the questions remain: did you get out and check the brakes to see if they are worn out, or otherwise causing a problem?

Oldblue 09-01-2017 04:22 PM

Well , then that would point towards bearing hubs.

Just a question, Taxi brakes? You mean heavy duty?

donbrew 09-01-2017 05:32 PM

I don't care when brakes were installed, I have had them wear out in 1,000 miles. Without looking at them you putting a lot on the line.
(hint: first check the brake fluid level, that is the main indicator of pad wear)

Kingcorrupter 09-02-2017 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 829637)
I don't care when brakes were installed, I have had them wear out in 1,000 miles. Without looking at them you putting a lot on the line.
(hint: first check the brake fluid level, that is the main indicator of pad wear)

It's funny you say that cause on my way to work today the light came on and this time the screen messages came on saying brake fluid, service ecs, service traction. So guess it is time to have those brakes looked at.

Conax 09-02-2017 10:05 AM

I vote for a bad hub. It made the sound on the highway at speed, that's where the sensor bit the dust I'm guessing. Pull codes, there should be one. Post it here and these fellas will be on it like rats on a cheetoh. Oh, and do check those brakes of course.