Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   transmission???????? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/transmission-16560/)

saltyfishguy 07-11-2008 07:13 PM

+1 on the tire spin

Snoopy 07-12-2008 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger (Post 288914)
I got some kind of freaky deaky intermittent driveline drag issue going on right now that is hugely p!ssing me off, and I suspect the automatic transmission. Tomorrow I'm going to sample some fluid and smell if it smells burnt or not. Only 10,000 miles on this thing and this kind of issue. Very frustrating. Wen it does it, its like I've got 20 lbs of air in each tire and a small trailer hitched up or something.

Back on topic, I haven't experienced what the orig poster described, mine just seems to spin the tires more on wet road surfaces.

Lone Ranger....

remember the HHR has no transmission dipstick. How are you getting the sample????:confused:

Lone Ranger 07-12-2008 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 289028)
Lone Ranger....

remember the HHR has no transmission dipstick. How are you getting the sample????:confused:

Safely lift and level the car. Start engine, let idle 5 - 10 minutes to get trans fluid temp above 104 deg F (40 deg C). Place shift lever in each gear selection briefly, ending by placing it into PARK. Place drain pan underneath transmission fluid check/drain plug. Remove plug. If no fluid comes out, add Dexron VI fluid through vent cap until fluid dribbles from check plug hole. When fluid level is even with bottom of check plug hole, fluid level is correct. If more than a dribble exits check plug hole, let drain until barely dribbling then replace and tighten check plug. Engine must be running and shifter in PARK or excessive fluid loss will occur.
Magnetic torpedo level placed on bottom of transmission pan should aid in achieving front-to-rear level-- side to side level should not require adjustment is surface is level and jack stands are on same settings.

Old Lar 07-12-2008 08:57 AM

Since my HHR doesn't hace TC, I'll get wheel spin on wet roads taking off. The car has more torque than I expected. In Florida many months of low rain and oil builds up on the road, then rain making the roads slick.

The only thing I get is when stopped, a surging feeling in the car. No wavering of the tac, but the car subtly shakes. It is an intermittant happening.

brett 07-23-2008 02:47 PM

no its definitely kicking back... but thanks for all your help

Big Kahuna 02-08-2009 09:57 PM

My fiance has a 2006 2LT w/ about 40,000 miles and it is starting to do a kicking back (slip) of the transmission. It is an automatic and is considerably noticable on days when the evening it cold (30 degrees or below) and the day is considerably warmer (60 degrees) and there seems to be a high level of humidity in the air. Yesterday it was severe enough to kick in the transmission to turn the "check engine light" on.

Today the humidity was less and it was cooler outside and a lot drier. Check engine light went off last night and has not come on at all today. No slip or kicking back in the transmission at all. Seems to occur more when there is very high humidity / moisture level in the air and temperatures from cold to mid warm.

Going into the shop tomorrow to get checked on.

GRUMPEE 02-09-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar (Post 289060)

The only thing I get is when stopped, a surging feeling in the car. No wavering of the tac, but the car subtly shakes. It is an intermittant happening.

I have a 2LT with TC & I get the same thing once in a while - but otherwise it doesn't seem to cause any other related problems. I 'm thinking it's normal as it's happened since day one - the shake is still subtle, ie hasn't gotten worse. My 3 year warranty is coming up and I'll take in then and have it checked.

Hey ChevyMgr ever heard of this problem? Like Old LAr says it's doesn't noticeably change the RPM so it doesn't sound like a Torqe Converter, fuel or timing issue.

If this is off topic let me know and I'll post a new thread

oneton 02-09-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar (Post 289060)

If you turn off radio, A/C, ect. and listen you will here fuel going back and forth in the tank and you can feel the car surge with it when fuel is at half or less

Big Kahuna 02-09-2009 11:33 AM

This is definitely a slip of the transmission. It truely seems to be more noticeable in damper weather conditions. We are a lot more humid today with storms approaching tonight and the tranny slipp seems to be starting again. No Check Engine light yet. She's dropping it off at the shop this morning.

djnixtre 02-09-2009 11:38 AM

Sounds like exaclty what traction control is supposed to do - applies ABS and/or cuts throttle when wheels slip. Do you have TC?